Question about 16mm fill footage

Bill DiPietra

• Premium Member

I am finishing up my 16mm short on my Steenbeck and, as I haven't edited a film on there in about 5 years, I have a rather sophomoric question.

I have some sections on my magtrack which I will need to use fill footage for, but all I have for fill is double-perfed film. The final master format of the audio track will be a file format (probably .wav). Does anyone know if most transfer machines accept both single & double perforations, or is it only single?

Thanks for any help.

It doesn't matter because mag transport sprockets have a single row of teeth, just like our beloved Steenbecks.

I believe they always did.

If you think about it, the only thing you couldn't do is run S/P in D/P equipment. That would turn it into a perforator.

Incidentally, apart from high-speed, cameras haven't had them for decades either.

Presumably you'll remember to cut in the fill emulsion out so it doesn't clog the heads.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member

I would imagine that if they accept single, then they would also accept double? Since you only have sprockets on one side anyway.

Yup. That was my initial thinking as well, but I wanted to make sure it was correct. Thanks, guys.