Bollywood

Guest Andrea Altgayer

Guest Andrea Altgayer

Hi there everyone,

Is there anyone out there who has had any experience of working as a crew member in Bollywood? If you have, I would love to hear all about it!

Bye,

Andrea

Guest rajavel

hi andrea

this is rajavel from south of India. closer to bollywood but called gollywood. quite funny to take on names like that...isn't it. so what is that u wanna know about bollywood. i have just shot my first commercial feature film in malayalam (kerala) and interested to go beyond indian cinema...to international cinema. u ask me questions ..i can reply with wat i know...cheers!

raj

I have been working in bollywood for almost 2yrs now venturing as Production asst. to Asst. Director to lighting dept and at present in grips dept. making my way into cinematography.

The scene here is very happening loads of work and quality stuff. in past 2yrs i've seen a lot of forgien D.O.P's coming to India for work and some looking for work trying there luck but still a lot of work and but still no over population of people in the industry but that stage is not very far.

Guest Andrea Altgayer

I wouldn't say desperate, as I am still at the beginning of my career and have loooots to learn while I am still here. When I make the move, I want to make sure that I am one of the best, and I think that the more experience I have in working in the industries of other major film producing countries, the better.

I am just strategising and sowing the seeds for my international career.

Bye,

Andrea

I wouldn't say desperate, as I am still at the beginning of my career and have loooots to learn while I am still here. When I make the move, I want to make sure that I am one of the best, and I think that the more experience I have in working in the industries of other major film producing countries, the better. 

I am just strategising and sowing the seeds for my international career.

Bye,

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

I can give you a behind the scenes perspective, having made a series of docs over 6 years on Bollywood.Although I was last there 4 years ago things may have moved on.

Yes the industry is becomming more tecnologically advanced but the majority of movies are made with technical resources that we would consider a compromise. Ie Apple boxes instead of a tripod. They make more movies than anyone else in the world.

Insurance is such that it is cheaper to have an individual guard an item of equipment rather than insure it.

The caste system has to be adhered too. It is very uncool to help an assistant.

Bigger budgets are a mixture of high and low tech. Think Arri 435 and a line of 15 2k HMIs each with one or two operators. Or 35mm steadycam shot but with two guys running behind carrying a video 8 video deck (because they don't have a long enough video cable...)

I'd suggest seeking an new (?) director making a new wave film, not a Hindi film.

Most old style Bollywood movies post synch, as India is a noisy place! and they take years to shoot as the stars are all over the place with contracts.

A wonderful country with gentle and honest people a humbling experience. Go there anyway!

Some of our hotel staff would politely touch us for good luck if they new we had been with Amitab or other big stars that day.

Silence!

Taking!

Mike Brennan

Guest rajavel

hi andrea

wat mike mentioning about hindi cinema is mostly true but its changed a lot in the recent years. they are striving to make cinema to be on par with the international work. they are getting the best of technical talent and making films. lot more experimenttal films are happening now than any point of time. and they are finishing films in 40 days to 60 days in a single schedule.

and still actors are demi gods...

raj

Hello Raj,

A few questions:

Can you mention a couple of titles of the more "experimental" films that would be able to be found in an Indian video rental shop here in Paris?

Where is(are) the main headquarters for film production?

• Premium Member

Hi,

I saw my first example of this kind of cinema when working as a projectionist. I have to admit I was pretty dismissive - I knew it would be a rather long musica and I knew something about the apple-box situation. Have to say I was regretting my prejudice from the moment the slick CG opening titles came up; however they're making movies in India, they know what they're doing.

Phil

i dont think a indian film will be available but i heard about a RAhul Bose film "Everybody says i am fine" which was shot on dv did pretty well abroad.

the things you are talikng about are old things have realy changed, recently i worked in a Albert Brooks film with D.O.P Thomas Ackerman(A.S.C), he was shocked to see the setup's here which never expected in India and was really satisfied. Other popular film shot in india was "Bourne supremacy".

Guest rajavel

thanks miha for responding to that mail. i had been away for too long. and of course i want to add some more to the list....but little off beat not entirely commercial.....Mr&Mrs iyer, Maqbool,

raj