Achieving this look

Hey,

I wanted to replicated the blue seen in the attached image. Is there any combination of Gel [cobalt blue ?] + White Balance and a bit of grading to achieve this.

Also if I am thinking of replicating this is it preferred to use a tungsten light source or a daylight source ?

The camera I will be shooting this on is a Canon 1 D C. [just in case]

Thanks

post-59553-0-21428100-1450271518_thumb.jpg

post-59553-0-29875900-1450271540_thumb.jpeg

• Premium Member

Light with daylight balanced lights, then white balance for tungsten. You may need some additional blue gels depending on the depth of colour you want to see. But I'd start with clean daylight fixtures and go from there.

• Premium Member

I used to use a similar color in "Smash" for the backstage blue light, to match the deep blue compact flos and other blue work lights they left on during a performance -- I used daylight Kinos with Full CTB gel on them, with the camera set to 3200K or so.

• Premium Member

Any deep blue gel would work, it's a matter of taste and what shade of blue you want. I've used Congo Blue for a super-blue look, I've also used blue screen Kino tubes, which only put out a narrow wavelength in the blue range.

Any heavy gel is going to lose a lot of light output, though you often want to underexpose the subject to maintain the saturation of the deep colored light. But you'd be halfway there to getting that blue color with daylight balanced sources and probably could get more light level than with tungsten lamps with heavier gels on them.