Advice on blu ray player

Benjamin Lamb

I'm looking to buy a high quality external blu ray player for a MacBook Pro and am wondering if anyone here can offer advice on the best options available. There are basically three things I'm looking for.

1). Easy of use/compatibility with MacBook Pro

2). Region free

3). Able to copy/burn high quality blu rays

I don't know if there is a machine out there that does even those three things, but I'd very interested to hear some suggestions! Appreciate it guys!

• Premium Member

If you're going to rip disks, it doesn't matter what drive you have. Region coding is only there to prevent realtime playback.

There really isn't any decent way to rip bluray's on mac. You have to make a disk image first and then work with the raw media using a program like handbreak. It's very time consuming, but it does work in the end. I've done lots of ripping for post houses who needed clips for BTS doc's on older movies. They don't bother sending us HDCAM masters, they just send a bluray! crazy. Anyway, the apple drive isn't bad, but any drive WILL work since the playback programs are 3rd party anyway. The apple drive is USB powered, which is nice.