sunrays

• Premium Member
I want to light up a scene where a guy is sitting in front of a huge glass wall and i want to show beams of sunrays entering the room through that glass wall in form of mutiple beams of sunrays each visible clearly. how to do that

On your budget?

Is this a daytime window? Clear glass or glass bricks?

If it is mixed with daylight, it would have to be daylight-balanced. An 18K HMI backed off may work, but a couple of Xenon's bunched together might be better, or HMI Molebeams would create a sharper beam.

But since all of these, plus the generator, is probably out of your budget, a couple of mirror boards reflecting real sunlight may be the only way.

And of course, the scene needs to be smoked / hazed.

If a golden late afternoon look is OK, then a tungsten multi-bank light like a Dino or 12 or 24-light MaxiBrute, with narrow spot PAR bulbs, might work.

At night, you could create beams with smaller lights, like some 1K Lekos or Source-4 ellipsoidals bunched together, or a bigger tungsten lamp backed off to get a sharp source. But then you've got the problem of the background not being lit.

• Premium Member

Basically you want a hazed (smoked) set and then some powerful sharp lights shining through the window. Any light backed far enough away is a sharp source but they get dimmer when farther away, so the lights need to be really big & bright. Otherwise, there are "projector beam" type lights like Xenons, Molebeams but they tend to not cover the spread of a huge window unless you use multiple ones. But in you case, if you want more of a dappled effect like sunlight streaming through tree leaves and then through a window, multiple lights might be OK. Same with big multi-bank tungsten lamps like Dino's, Raybeams, MaxiBrutes, Jumbos, etc.

You really need a qualified electrician / Gaffer for what you are planning though. Hire someone and ask them.

A mirror reflecting sunlight would be cheaper and easier, just more limiting to certain times of the day and weather conditions (i.e. it has to be sunny.) You'd need a couple of 4'x4' mirror boards (mirrors on wooden boards that pivot on a yoke w/ a junior spud) on big combo stands and some step ladders behind them to make adjustments once they went up high on the stands.

But I basically said all this the first time...

• Premium Member
A mirror reflecting sunlight would be cheaper and easier, just more limiting to certain times of the day and weather conditions (i.e. it has to be sunny.) You'd need a couple of 4'x4' mirror boards (mirrors on wooden boards that pivot on a yoke w/ a junior spud) on big combo stands and some step ladders behind them to make adjustments once they went up high on the stands.

Hi,

Recently I was shooting in a Church, low budget as usual. I realised the sun would be in the right place for mabe 20 minutes and got the shot! I think David's mirror idear is spot on.

Stephen

Basically you want a hazed (smoked) set and then some powerful sharp lights shining through the window. Any light backed far enough away is a sharp source but they get dimmer when farther away, so the lights need to be really big & bright.  Otherwise, there are "projector beam" type lights like Xenons, Molebeams but they tend to not cover the spread of a huge window unless you use multiple ones.  But in you case, if you want more of a dappled effect like sunlight streaming through tree leaves and then through a window, multiple lights might be OK.  Same with big multi-bank tungsten lamps like Dino's, Raybeams, MaxiBrutes, Jumbos, etc.

You really need a qualified electrician / Gaffer for what you are planning though. Hire someone and ask them.

i have in total three 2.5k par hmi and mirror boards how do i do the setup for the sunrays thing and if i want the whitish light do i need to put cto's.

i'm sorry to again question on the same topic but the thing is we dont have any problem with arranging for lights, generator, smoke and mirror boards we can afford that but the thing is that we have a maximum 6k hmi that to only one. i can get three of 2.5k hmi and need to get the effect of sunrays entering a plane glass window on to two subjects sitting on the floor how do i do the setup.

thanks a lot

• Premium Member
i'm sorry to again question on the same topic but the thing is we dont have any problem with arranging for lights, generator, smoke and mirror boards we can afford that but the thing is that we have a maximum 6k hmi that to only one. i can get three of 2.5k hmi and need to get the effect of sunrays entering a plane glass window on to two subjects sitting on the floor how do i do the setup.

thanks a lot

You want to shine three 2.5K HMI's through a window... so what is the question? Put narrow or spot lenses in them, back them up outside the window as far as possible (to get a sharper beam) and still get enough exposure, smoke the room (to an even haze), make sure the background view is not bright because you can't see a beam of light against a bright background.

To get shards of light, something has to break up the beams, whether it is someone moving past the window, or a leafy branch waving around just outside the glass, etc.

I don't know how high you want the lights to go.