Anyone with HID Source Four experience?

Hi Guys! I've found some decently priced Source Fours (HID 150w) and I'm looking for anyone with experiences or opinions on the HID version of the source fours. I understand they are not dimmable and have a cri of about 85, so I'm debating whether to purchase the more expensive tungsten version or get the cheaper HID version available. I plan on using them to create "harsh daylight" through windows and maybe as a bounced key etc. Looking for any thoughts/experiences/suggestions. Thank you.

• Premium Member

If they take the same G12-based CDM as the PAR variant, you can put better lamps in them. The Philips CDM-T 150W/942 is advertised as 4200K and 96CRI, although bear in mind that CRI can be misleading.

Cool Lights sells a 6000K CDM-compatible quartz discharge lamp, but I haven't used it and I don't know how well it matches, for instance, with HMI.

I have no idea why the tungsten ones would be more expensive. The opposite is usually true.

P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I think they're rather useful.

As a card-carrying nerd and tinkerer, this won't interest everyone, but - there's a way to make these things hot-startable, at least with certain bulbs. It doesn't work with all of them.

P

• 3 weeks later...

I used these once on a commercial where the director wanted me to flick it on and off (like you would do with a hotlight) so he could see the effect. I don't imagine that would work even on a hot strikeable one, but it would still be useful