Fresnel toggle switches

I've got some older Colortran studio fresnels that I need to replace the toggle switches on. I replaced one and it promptly melted (see attached picture). Does anybody know what temperature rating or kind of toggle switch I would need so it wouldn't melt?

One pick is of the new, orange, melted switch. The other pic is of one of the original toggle switches.

post-67871-0-08421900-1454460840_thumb.jpg

post-67871-0-47847200-1454460856_thumb.jpg

I replaced a toggle switch on a Colortran 1K Baby Fresnel many years ago. Only it wasn't on the unit itself but rather in the cord line. I got one that was heavy duty all metal from Barbizon Electric in NYC. It was about $35. So they're not that cheap but it works great. You could always put it on the cord and that'll keep the lamp from heating it up. But I'd use metal anyway.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I suppose if I do that, I could just attach/solder/crimp those two wires to each other then and it would be permanently on. Or maybe ceramic wire nuts... I need some high-temperature way to insulate them from shorting on the metal casing.

• Premium Member

I suspect for that you'd want to look for one specifically described as for high temperature use.

Of course, it may also have melted through overloading. If it's a 1kW light and the local mains is 120V, the theoretical load is 8.3A. Ideally, find a switch with at least double that rating, for long-term reliability.

I would recommend against crimps or wire nuts. Both will offer considerably higher resistance than a soldered joint, which in itself will create heat. Of course, if it all gets hot enough to melt the solder, you still have a problem. It may be possible to get a switch with screw terminals, which would be a nice approach. I suspect it won't, though. Few switches would stand it.

P