The Panascope/UltraPan8 conversions of Marco Kroger

Nicholas Kovats

I would like to officially introduce the amazing optical-mechanical work of Marco Kroger of the former East Germany.

He is not a member of this forum and may be contacted on Facebook. Marco studied at the Technische Universität Chemnitz and he is actively adapting, modifying, converting, retro-fitting optical-mechanical R8/S8/16mm/35mm lenses/cameras. He has also created SLR/stereo ultra-widescreen 35mm photography systems. He also has built controllers, strobe/flash systems, photo-cell triggers, etc. He also utilizes the term Panascope to describe his ultrawide modifications to Regular 8, Double Super 8 and Standard 16mm transports. He alternates between the two terms but the aspect ratio is identical to UP8 based Regular 8, i.e. 3.7 x 10.3mm. He was originally inspired by my numerous UltraPan8 films online. Here is the current list of his Panascope/UltraPan8 projects, i.e.

1. Zenit Quarz Double Super 8 camera converted to Regular 8 based Panascope/UltraPan8 C-Mount w/ Newton parallax viewfinder matched to 10mm Zeiss Jena Tevidon C-MOunt lenses (APO). He rejected a Double Super 8 based transport on account of the more common availability of Regular 8 film stock, i.e.

2. Panascope/UltraPan "8 Regular 8 based projector, i.e

3. Panascope/UltaPan"8" scanner, i.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XHSn_H ... e=youtu.be

4. Panascope/UltraPan "8" directors viewfinder w/ C-mount. It appears to have a dioptre. To be confirmed. He recently suggested that it may used as twin-reflex C-Mount parallax viewfinder on his conversions.

5. Presently converting a Meopta Admira A (Czech Republic) 16mm electric to Panascope/UltraPan 8, i.e.

His choice of cameras is based on weight (light), low cost and their general availability in Germany (common). All built over the last two years in addition to his multiple format camera projects. The year 2016 is shaping up with many options for film enthusiasts.

Nicholas Kovats

Toronto

post-14530-0-10438900-1455494680_thumb.jpg

post-14530-0-16310400-1455494702_thumb.jpg

post-14530-0-27347600-1455495003_thumb.jpg

post-14530-0-59113900-1455495044_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nicholas Kovats
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Hey, just found this post and I am curious about this format. Forgive me if my question is stupid, but a lens that works for the reg8 or super8 frame will not work for the widened gate because the frame is 2x as large? So a lens at least made for 16mm cameras or 35mm still cameras would be needed?

Your welcome. Jean Louis Seguin only converts Bolex H8 or H16 bodies. Marco is able to convert the smaller Russian Quarz models in a Double Super 8 UltraPan/Panascope model. No has converted the smaller and older Bolex Regular 8 models. Very tiny spaces to work with. No room for reflex viewing as Marco's work as attested to.