looking for good super 8 footage

JB Earl

Can anyone direct me to some good footage shot on super 8 or max8? Everything I can find is "shaky cam" at best, and often improperly exposed. I'm looking to see what the format is actually capable of.

• Upvote 1

This one is pretty good as well:

A lot of what makes this work, and Jose Luis Villar's work technically impressive, is not just the cameras used, and the film stock used, but the transfers to video and the post work done. A lot of Super8 available online can look technically wanting due to the rather average transfers done - and lack of post work done.

But this sort of thing is not everyone's cup of tea.

You could get equally impressive work (if in a very different vein) shooting on a crappy camera, with crappy filmstock, and otherwise doing a really good transfer and really good post - if you know what you are doing.

It's ultimately not the technology, as much as how you exploit it. In whatever way you do. And that includes the video side of that. Which, for online work, must include video as part of that work.

A lot of really good Super8 is offline - to be appreciated in a projector.

C

Edited by Carl Looper

Thanks for the links and ideas. Jose luis Villars work is beautiful, especially the Tri-X. The Logmar footage is stunning, almost too good, for Super8. I suppose the draw of the format is the painterly look, and the serendipitous nature of the shots. I'm not fond of footage that seems like the photographer could barely hold the camera up.

Good point about the transfer and post. I do have a Super 8 projector now for watching old SciFi reels and the like.

A lot of what makes this work, and Jose Luis Villar's work technically impressive, is not just the cameras used, and the film stock used, but the transfers to video and the post work done. A lot of Super8 available online can look technically wanting due to the rather average transfers done - and lack of post work done.

I could be wrong but AFAIK the transfers of that stuff was just done on a flashscan!

A big factor can be the work of the colourist.

Of course a lot of stuff on youtube is older film stock projected where someone has just filmed off a wall.

A big factor can be the work of the colourist.

Yes, even if the transfers are average (or indeed because they are average) it's what you (or someone else) does in post that will be equally important. One really has to become familiar with the world of post-production, as much acquisition. The entire pipeline, from capture to delivery becomes important. Basically the work of film making involves attending to everything up to an including how it's publically screened.

C