Alexa vs Epic Dragon

Max Field

I thought there would be a million of these threads but after a quick search I couldn't find one for the last 2 years.

These are the two flagship cameras that I see used the most for modern features, is the general consensus on these 50/50? 80/20? Does one have features rendering it much easier to use than the other?

Would love to hear the thoughts of guys who've worked with both of these, cause I definitely don't have the cash/connections to get my hands on either.

• Premium Member

Modern digital cameras update frequently so it's probably good to check in again. Basically, when comparing the Weapon Dragon and Alexa/Amira/Mini right now both cameras produce very good comparable images. In general, the Red cameras have more resolution and the Arri cameras have slightly more dynamic range and arguably better color. The Arri cameras are generally less buggy and more robust, but also less customizable. They are also more expensive as are the accessories. While both can now record raw and Prores, most people shoot compressed raw on Red and Prores on Arri. Arriraw is always uncompressed and thus expensive and difficult to work with. You can work with 6k Red footage on a top-spec laptop.

Most larger productions still use Arri (in raw), but that is currently changing now that some studios have begun requiring 4K+ capture. Arriraw in Open Gate sensor mode, the largest area possible, is 3.4k. There is the new Alexa 65 but they are very expensive and rental only, with limited availability. Also very limited in terms of lenses.

• Upvote 1

Most larger productions still use Arri (in raw), but that is currently changing now that some studios have begun requiring 4K+ capture.

...especially all the Disney stuff presently shooting 8K.

I shoot mostly Dragon on mid-tier commercials and films. On some of the bigger jobs, clients sometimes request Alexa and the color is great, no doubt. The few times we've shot Arri raw, the clients have regretted the extra burden of the post process though they asked for raw. For resolution and ease editing, it's hard to argue with R3D.