Start stop remote PMW F3

rob spence

I've been trying for ages to find a way of remotely start stopping the rec on a sony F3 via some sort of switch that could be attached to my handlebar grips to make shoulder shooting easier. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Unfortunately not. As a last resort I'll probably solder a couple of wires and fit a socket from the top handle switch ( research to be done on this first! ) but I'd rather go a simpler route if possible.

• Premium Member

Hm, well, they do have an infra-red receiver, as I recall.

It's very possible that they use the same protocol (which is actually much the same as the LANC protocol) that has been used by the company for a decade or two.

If so, it can probably be controlled using a simple microcontroller board and an infra-red LED.

Do you have an IR remote that will control it? If so, what's the model number of the remote?

P

• Premium Member

Well, it's certainly possible to do what we're proposing; the issue is whether any of the popular software libraries support (or could easily be persuaded to support) the Sony protocol in question. My very strong suspicion is that the F3 probably uses the same IR protocol that Sony have been using for 25 years for both consumer and professional gear - I had Hi8 and DV decks that were controllable with the same remotes, and many other things besides. Without both the remote and the F3 here to play with it's impossible to be sure, and I don't know what your ability or appetite for electronic tinkering is, but it could certainly be done.

P

I did make one for canon dslrs a few years back. basically a switch on the grip wired into a cheap IR remote (ebay) then wired to an IR sender bulb on a flexible piece of thick wire. Took ages to build but worked fine...I now see them on ebay from China for £5! The trouble is its yet another piece of kit strapped onto the camera along with all the other bits of kit strapped onto the camera! I may look into soldering a wires onto the top handle on/off button with a two pin socket for a switch wire... after consultation with a pal of mine who's in the electronics trade.

When will they invent a 'finished' camera.