Car Commercials

Hi All-

I looked at digital domain's "making of" bits on their website, in particular the car spots- Does anyone here shoot cars or work on car spots (not the local ones)? Is it a specialty going the way of miniature/model-makers, in favor of digitally created vehicles?

just curious-

Hi- sorry, I'm just wondering out loud if car shooters are being squeezed out of work by digitally-created cars, if that's the way the business is moving. So many car spots I see now are brilliant, but look like those from digital domain, where the cars are created in the computer and animated, as opposed to doing it the "old fashioned way" of going out to the salt flats with a full crew and shooting real cars all day long.

• Premium Member

Bill Bennett, ASC shoots a lot of car commercials, but it seems CGI replacement is only done on certain shots that can't be done any other way. There will still be plenty of plates shots with real cars, even if only as a reference. So even though more and more car shots will be CGI, I don't see real car photography going away completely.