The Spiders Stratagem

Just stumbled across this rare movie with cinematography by Storraro.

Suspect it's not mainstream cinema fare by a long shot as it's not even really available on DVD to the best of my knowledge but might be worth checking out for the cinematography even if you aren't that open minded about films.

I thought I would share as you may not get the chance to see it again!

Freya

Wow, I've seen something that David hasn't!

I saw this in college back in the 80s, and it played like a warm up exercise by Storaro & Bertolucci in preparation for The Conformist. It's not nearly as refined a work, but visually fascinating nonetheless. There's lots of visual trickery and challenges throughout, with bits like a character walking by a statue and the cross-cut dolly reverse moving in the "wrong" direction. Then an hour later at the end there's a flashback of the scene with the dolly moving in the correct direction, just to show that they had it.

Don't go expecting a masterwork, but instead some young geniuses first flexing their talent.

• Premium Member

No I missed that one when it was playing in Los Angeles for a week, will have to hope for an HD blu-ray release (though many of Storaro's movies have yet to come out in blu-ray...)

I do have a DVD collection of fairly obscure Storaro movies, such as "The Fifth Cord", "Zapata", "Wagner", etc.