CINEMATOGRAPHY - Kris Malkiewicz

Hi folks,

I´d like to know your opinions about the Cinematography Book by Kris Malkiewicz. Is it any good? Is it a good start for a Cinema Student who gets more and more interested in Cinematography?

I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and it´s very expensive over here so I´d like to know what you think of it!

Thanks a lot! :D

• Premium Member

I cowrote the new edition. I think it's a good buy, being half that of many other books like Blain Brown's "Cinematography" (a great book but full of expensive color photos...)

It is specifically about 16mm cinematography for the student filmmaker, and an intro into basic cinematography in general. Sort of designed for someone about to shoot a small 16mm production, from start to finish, including some basics on sound and post, plus special shooting situations.

It doesn't cover cinematography as broadly as Brown's book in terms of compositional theory, color theory, or high-end production, nor does it cover video cameras like Ascher's "Filmmakers Handbook" -- but that's why it is shorter and cheaper...

Just make sure you are purchasing the new Third Edition.

I cowrote the new edition.  I think it's a good buy, being half that of many other books like Blain Brown's "Cinematography" (a great book but full of expensive color photos...)

It is specifically about 16mm cinematography for the student filmmaker, and an intro into basic cinematography in general.  Sort of designed for someone about to shoot a small 16mm production, from start to finish, including some basics on sound and post, plus special shooting situations.

It doesn't cover cinematography as broadly as Brown's book in terms of compositional theory, color theory, or high-end production, nor does it cover video cameras like Ascher's "Filmmakers Handbook" -- but that's why it is shorter and cheaper...

Just make sure you are purchasing the new Third Edition.

Than You David. I´m looking foward to get it.... There's also "Film Lighting" by the same author and I'll take a look at it too. I'll probably be doing a short movie in 16mm (or digital) and I see now that's exactly what I need to get started.

• 2 weeks later...

I found it very helpful. Also The Filmmaker's Handbook and Film Lighting are good. Between those three books, I breezed through my first year of film school. Another book that I really loved was The Elements of Cinema Toward a Theory of Cinesthetic Impact by Stefan Sharff. It's not an easy read, but it concentrates more on mise en scene, which I think makes it a nice companion to the more technical references.

• 1 month later...
Guest filmmakermilan

I bought Cinematography just recently. Finished it so fast. I think it's excellent as a beginning tool.

• Premium Member
Than You David. I´m looking foward to get it.... There's also "Film Lighting" by the same author and I'll take a look at it too.  I'll probably be doing a short movie in 16mm (or digital) and I see now that's exactly what I need to get started.

That's a very good book, as well. It's better left until you've learned a little about the process, though. The substance of the book is excerpts of interviews with some top working cinematographers and gaffers, so it's helpful to have a little experience in how things go.

Film Lighting is a great book for beginners, does a good job of covering a wide range of lighting topics (techniques, characteristics of light, power distribution etc).

I was gaffing on a shoot over the weekend. I had my copy in my van and I lent it to a P.A. who looked pretty bored minding a couple production trucks.

He got through about half of it before the end of the day, and then bought it off me for $10 so he could read the rest.

I think I might have created a future Electric =)

Guest Videonewbie56

ok i have always wanted to be a Cinematographer ever since i picked up a camera but i dont really now how to approach the college aspect of my journey into cinematography so i was wondering if anybody could tell me a good college to go to for Cinematography thank you B)

Edited by Videonewbie56

Have you searched the forums? The pros and cons of different film schools have been discussed quite a bit. One of the most important things to nail down is what you need from the school when you graduate. If you want industry contacts that can help you find work making feature films, the list is pretty short.

Guest Videonewbie56
Have you searched the forums? The pros and cons of different film schools have been discussed quite a bit. One of the most important things to nail down is what you need from the school when you graduate. If you want industry contacts that can help you find work making feature films, the list is pretty short.

ok i'll do that thanks

• 2 months later...