do aaton ltr 54 mags scratch super 16

rob spence

So mags scratch the film...and some don't.

You have to run a test to be really sure...

from what I heard mags with seria # higher than 2500

Are modified for doing S16 work.

But you should still check them out to be sure.

Good Luck

• Premium Member

Yes and No.

The indicator of a D-type magazine (Super 16) and a C-type magazine (Regular 16) is the flipped coaxial roller (the roller that transports the film between feed and takeup). In a D-type mag the coaxial will be flipped so that the film will roll over it emulsion up, a C-type mag will have it go through emulsion down.

The original reason for flipping the coaxial was not scratching in the Super 16 region, or really anything to do with Super 16 at all, it was the release of t-grain stocks, which reportably bruised easier and often in the emulsion down C-type mags.

So the answer is yes and no... and what stock you put through it I guess. I know many D.P.'s who haven't upgraded thier C-type mags that have no problem shooting Super 16... but every once in a while you hear of a horror story. Many more D.P.s spend the $1500 per mag to upgrade for safety.

As Rik already said, native DM magazines were probably produced around 2300 to 2500... but upgraded CM to DM magazines can be any serial number.

Consequently, you have GX, DX, DM and CM magazines. 'C' for Regular 16, 'D' for Super 16, 'M' for mechanical drive, 'X' for magnetic drive and 'G' for the 800' magazines.

Remember to scratch test your mags both at 24 and 54 fps!