Has anyone modified the frame rate of a super 8 camera?

Rachael Tyrell

Ideally I'd just go and buy a camera wth an interval timer, but part of me remains steadfastly d i y.
i want a frame rate of around 3 fps and figured it was possible to open the camera up and insert a potentiometer between the batteries and the motor in order so slow it down.

I have a sacrificial camera (a Sankyo CME 880 which I bought to scavenge a replacement lens for my existing CME 880) and figured it was worth a go;

Any advice greatly received.

Most cameras have a speedregulator. This can usually be adjusted for fine tuning as they did in factory or at the repairshop. The trick is to find this potentiometer. Sometimes there are several and conveniently labeled. Often not :(

The reach is limited though. Don't expect to adjust a lowest speed of 18 fps to three.

I know some Bauers are easy to open and have labeled adjusters for each speed and exposure. :)

Regulating the power itself could would work but drivemotors need a minimum voltage to get going and stay on. And will it then be low enough?

• Premium Member

A Beaulieu 4008 can go down to 4 FPS and probably a little slower without modification.

If you're looking for a time-lapse camera there are a few options out there but an inexpensive one is the Kodak Analyst Super 8 Camera. They had plastic gears like so many inexpensive cameras of the time so you may have to go through a few to find a working one...but at under $30 on eBay it shouldn't be hard.

Kodak_Analyst_1b.JPG