Tripod recommendations under $400?

Over the course of 2 years, talking to various experts, I had built up a list of heavy-duty tripods to purchase that surprisingly were not all that expensive.

Just had a crash on my external drive and lost my little notepad file with all of the names, conveniently right when I was about to pull the trigger on buying another one.

Tried Google, and I keep getting suggestions for flimsy photography tripods.

So yeah, when you get the chance, please give some models of tripods that have done you well. I'm looking for over 20 pounds of support. (either pre built systems or pieces you like together)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Macks Fiiod

• Premium Member

Under $400?

I'd suggest scanning ebay for a few months until you find someone selling a piece of gear that they know nothing about, that's the only way I can imagine you'll get anything worthwhile.

My recommendation would be to save up more money. $1,000 will get you a serviceable, well-used tripod that's smooth enough for professional usage. Less than that? I'm afraid you'll wading through the murk.

Be wary of wasting $400 on something that can't do the job properly (and therefore will need to be replaced in short order), it'll cost you more than saving up the extra $600 in the first place.

My situation right now is using a $200 (retail) Benro video tripod that was only designed for 11 pounds. I have a RED One stuck on it most of the time. From where I am right now, anything is an improvement.

Edited by Macks Fiiod

• Premium Member

I'm sure it is, but honestly, $400 isn't going to get you there. Save up a grand, and you can get yourself something nice and smooth. It'll be old and used, but if it's in good condition, it'll be a huge improvement.

Just checked ebay, and they have an O'Connor 50 with Birns & Saywer legs for $448 OBO. Not sure if it has ever been repacked or if it leaks but I love that head. I'd love to get one, but as I'm using a BMPCC these days, the camera is way too light for the head.

• Premium Member

Weird, I posted some links from ebay the other day, but it seems that post never arrived. Right now there's a Vinten Vision 10 and a Miller DS30 available for around $1000 each. They'd fit the bill for you.

There was a chap on the forum about a week ago selling an O'Connor 50 in good shape for $300.

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=72200

Discussions about what support is useful for various context have come up before and there are some usefull discussions archived. That's what I was hoping to point Max to. The older gear that people often refer to is still around and some prices may not have changed much.

I would NOT consider an O'Connor 50. OK head in its day, but no service parts available today.

I do have a Ronford F4 head with Ronford Medium Duty legs that I could do for $1000. Much better choice for a Red One than some of the other choices I see out there.

Marty Oppenheimer

Seattle

I like Transylvania. Michael Saar is great. But for some parts for OC50 heads, I don't think even he can come up with them.

The parts have long been a problem. I think O'Connor stopped servicing these heads 20 years ago.

BUT if Michael says he can do it, that's OK.
Still, the OC50 was on the ragged edge with an NPR or even a CP16.

I'd seriously look at the Ronford F4. Not that common in the USA, but the go to head for S16 in the UK for many many years.
Marty