SONY A7 II verse SONY A7 R2

George Ebersole

• Premium Member

So apparently the Earthquake in Japan some years back set back production of the A7 series, and all that's out there are either demo models of the base A7 II or completely kitted A7 R2s.

For you pros out there, which do you prefer?

• Premium Member

I'm thinking about changing my Leica M8 for a Sony A7 as I'm going to use it just for taking photos.

However, I'm thinking about getting the Sony A7S just because I can have a camera to shoot the odd video here and there

Again, as the photos I print are kind of large (2 meters by 2 meters sometimes), I don't know if the photos from the Sony A7S will hold that length!

Have a lovely day!

• Premium Member

I just wanted to shoot some scenery. Pacific coast shots north of Santa Cruz, and maybe some Redwood forest shots. I've viewed several videos on all kinds of cameras, and it's like everyone's got an opinion on what's good.

I was just hoping if there was anyone here had used both or one of them.

The reviews are pretty head-to-head. The A7Sii has slightly more rolling shutter (12% more in tests), but is considered the go-to for documentary low light work. It is the B/C camera on most of the doc shoots I am doing these days.

You can get an A7S first generation for way less than the ii, at the expense of no internal sensor stabilization and no internal UHD. Of course, you can get a clean UHD 4:2:2 8-bit image via HDMI to an external recorder if you needed it.

• 3 weeks later...