Getting enough work & the next level.

Nick Morr

I think this is the perception, but it's not an accurate model. For one thing, it's not the norm for ad agencies and corporate clients to see line-by-line crew budgets. Thus a DP's rate - unless you're very famous and expensive - will not be billed back in this way. You're bundled in with other costs. In terms of markup, doubling all the crew rates would be great but is not prevalent. It's much less. And budgets are made before the crew is hired, so the higher your DP's rate, the less you make on that line. Maybe you really want a particular DP and you don't make much on their line at all.

I am only speaking from my own experience having seen such invoices and having producers pad my rate in the past. My tendency now is to be pretty transparent about these things. I see it as a collaborative effort. A production company has the right to calculate their own overhead and find areas of the budget wherever they can to keep their lights on. I have no qualms about that. So as long as the rate they pay out to crew is reasonable I'll keep it to myself what I make and let them quote to the client whatever they want.

It sounds like you are much more balanced than most. I wish clients would make counter offers more often. It's been my experience that if you don't hit that magic number, they move on to another candidate, without ever counter offering. Which is why I suggest that Nick present a range rather than just a number.

Edited by Michael LaVoie

• 3 weeks later...

Most important factor is being likeable, and able to sell yourself. Networking is crucial, while you are building a good reel of work that you're proud of.

Of course, it depends on what kind of work you want to do. I chose the field of commercials, corporate and weddings, and also trying to push into music videos. I've been taking paying jobs for about 9 months now, and so far, I've done and booked projects for about $15000. And that is with no prior reel to show for. Shot my first paid gig with a cell phone.