What is the market like for Super 8

Ken Wood_11552

I am considering selling my Super 8 Canon 814 Electronic and Beaulieu 3008.s Multispeed.

I've looked on on eBay and don't see much.

Both are in good condition with lenses. No fog or mold. Beaulieu battery pack need a rebuild. Beaulieu comes with its original leather case.

I am just looking for general information of where might be the right place to sell these items.

Regards,

Ken Wood

kentek3141@hotmail.com

post-70846-0-84846700-1471726892_thumb.jpg

post-70846-0-28255000-1471726901_thumb.jpg

Guest Glenn Brady

You could do an 'advanced search' at eBay to check prices of comparable equipment that's sold recently. No 3008 series cameras have sold recently, but there are quite a few 5008 series (the 5008 was more expensive when new). A purportedly "near mint" example of the Canon 814 Electronic sold recently for $350.00 at eBay.

The market could change if Kodak ever comes out with their new camera...not sure if it will raise the value of your camera or lower it.

The oddity, even today, is that people seem to adapt to use-film prices of $20 per minute but want their cameras to run these films through at fleamarket prices. I.e. half the price of a single super-8 cartridge.

Professionals are more sensible and don't want or cannot risk winding up with nothing properly exposed.

The question is indeed 'will people start buying these Kodak camera en-masse or will they defer to the classic full featured super-8 camera'?

• Premium Member

The oddity, even today, is that people seem to adapt to use-film prices of $20 per minute but want their cameras to run these films through at fleamarket prices. I.e. half the price of a single super-8 cartridge.

Exactly. When people are looking for a $200 camera, what exactly do they think film, processing and transfer cost?

The reason is there are so so so many of these available to sell relative to the almost zilch interest in using them. Thus a person finds one camera price too high for their tastes, they can easily move on and find a cheaper offer. Which drives down the prices. Simple economics of supply and demand!!

You have no idea about the cameras involved. The sought cameras aren't available like breadcrums. People who expect to have a proper working Canon 1014xls, Beaulieu 4008, 6008 or Nikon R10 at a price of an average consumer thing of the early 80-ies which you may find at a recycle-shop aren't properly informed.

So, Andries, what are you really telling me? Am I foolish to try to sell what I have?

I over paid on the Beaulieu 3008s ($375 I think) and the Canon 1014 Elect was around $100 a few years ago.

The Canon is in good condition.

The Beaulieu needs the battery rebuild and a good cleaning. But it runs pretty well.

The big question is where should I list it? Here where the Pros visit, eBay (NOT!) or Craigslist (Double NOT!)