E.Comms

David Daniel Doherty

Hi all, I'm shooting some e.commerce video.

I'm experimenting with two angles. This is ok, I like the first cut to the close up, but when it cuts back to the wide angle, it feels rather choppy and harsh.

What can I do make this flow a little more fluid? Camera movement? An extreme close up before cutting back to wide?

https://vimeo.com/194381615

PASSWORD is 'pw'

Many thanks,

David

• Premium Member

There's almost no limit to the amount of showing off you can do on this sort of thing!

That said, I've seen a bunch of stuff like that which was pretty much... like that, so unless they're expecting something that looks like a major national ad campaign, you're fine.

What was the brief?

The reason why the first cut feels fluid is that it feels as if the girl is triggering the cut with her motion (turning). The second cut doesn't occur during any swing of motion. Cut at a point where she turns again and your fluidity is back.

Edited by Macks Fiiod

There's almost no limit to the amount of showing off you can do on this sort of thing!

That said, I've seen a bunch of stuff like that which was pretty much... like that, so unless they're expecting something that looks like a major national ad campaign, you're fine.

What was the brief?

The brief is one wide angle, with the turn. This is a regular gig, over two years. But client always open to suggestions.

The introduction of the second angle is a new thing.

The cut back doesn't feel seamless enough to me. Despite cutting on the action. I think it's the static tripod wide shot that makes the cut so visible and jarring?

I think I'll shoot a third extreme close up shot, where fabric covers the entire frame. This might make the cut back to the wide shot more comfortable, like with a black frame.

Ideally, I'd like something like - wide shot dolly horizontal or arc, with the close up on jib/crane. Something really dynamic!

The reason why the first cut feels fluid is that it feels as if the girl is triggering the cut with her motion (turning). The second cut doesn't occur during any swing of motion. Cut at a point where she turns again and your fluidity is back.

To be honest, I think the second cut is on the action, she has begun turning and it cuts just as she does. Given, a more ideal or obvious point within the action might be better.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll post an update tomorrow, with your suggestion.

To be honest, I think the second cut is on the action, she has begun turning and it cuts just as she does. Given, a more ideal or obvious point within the action might be better.

Yeah I was about to say, the second cut is happening too early. Think of it as the model doing the cutting, not you.