mysterious flicker problems from Aaton LTR54

pigdog

Dear All,

I just saw rushes from my negatives taken from my super16 aaton Ltr54, i am getting a telltale intermittent flashes or fogging on the images. during telecine, i was able to look at the film strip and noticed a fogging on a frame or between frames, once for every 20 or so frames. it is more noticeable in darker scenes. i noticed this flicker in over 6 rolls of film, the shots were very sharp and nicely focused, hence this rules out the pressure plate. also the lighting use was tungsten sources,thus ruling out light flickers from fluorecent or non flickerfree HMIs, i also change mags. the flicker also appeared on day exterior shots, but the wierd thing is as recently as a couple of months ago, the same camera was used and the footages were beautiful. the flashes are intermittent, sometime it comes out every second to 1 and half seconds... any thoughts on this?

pigdog

It sounds like you may have a light leak somewhere. I am not familiar with your camera so I cannot make any specific suggestions but perhaps something is leaking light either around the lens, perhasp the eyepiece or perhaps between the mag and the body.

I would suggest taking it to a shop before you shoot anything else.

When you find out what it is please post a solution.

Tim

• Premium Member

Pigdog,

It's absolutly a light leak. It is worn or missing gasket around the magazine. Send it into Lemac in the AU. They're closest to HK.

It's relativly simple to replace the gasket... probably an hour of labor and parts.

- nathan