Ronin / Arri Setup

David Daniel Doherty

Hi all, I'm shooting a project on an Arri Alexa Classic EV in a few months. Shortly, I will purchase my own Gimbal, most likely a Ronin, biggie. The Arri will be a rental.

I have seen it done before, but was wondering if anyone had any experience combining the two pieces of kit?

Or if you can think of a more ideal set up for me, I am all ears. Camera and grip.

This is my client's reference:

Many thanks,

Dave.

• Premium Member

Hi Dave,

If the camera is going to be rented, go for the Mini, it will be a better fit for the Ronin than the Classic, which will need the extra extenders and will give you loads of headaches trying to figure out how to fit all you need with the extra weight of the Classic / XT / etc and won't be really good at the end of the day.

Go for the Mini, there is no other option, honestly.

Vast Valley and Panavision have loads of them and the price difference is not that big.

Have a good day! ;)

• Premium Member

No worries Dave!

If you can get a Movi rather than a Ronin even better.

Rob shot his movie with a Movi and Dragon with Primos from Panavision so he could give you more tips Or talk to the guys in Into The Badlands and they will tell you the reason why they chose Movi over Ronin ;)

Have a good day!

• 3 weeks later...

Practical to alternate the same camera between gimbal and more traditional tools (dolly, tripod) on set? Time wise?

Tempting to use the gimbal for the entire project, but then it's being used simply because it's there, making the shots potentially less purposeful. There's no real way I can use two cameras.

That said, the music is ambient and nostalgic and the footage will mostly be slow motion. Much experience using gimbals for simple over-shoulder shots and such?