Vikings series atmosphere

Randy Walsh

Ok I'm stumped - in the Vickings series they create a wonderful haze atmosphere in their interiors ... great window light glow etc..

But I've noticed there is NO movement in the haze... None.

Even if someone walks through the light shaft ... there is no swirling of haze atmosphere ... which tells me it can't be on set in camera- must be post applied. Any thoughts?

• Premium Member

it's in camera; it's just evenly wafted through the room so there really is little movement to happen as it's a uniform level on the set (and since there is so much smoking stuff anyway on set, possibly continually running off of camera). Theres no way i know of to add that volumetric smoke in post over everything without costing fortunes.

Having shot live atmosphere for over 30 years... I can not believe this effect is in camera. If someone walks through the set, you will see SOMETHING ... even in the slightest movement of drift... some movement in the haze. I see NOTHiNG here in the Viking show.

I say again, I'm stupefied with this one. I know of no post effect that would allow for this effect with the actors walking through the effect casting shadows as they do. I'm completely stumped.

Thinking about it further,

First, Thank you for your comments- and you just may be right, but it's just hard for me to understand.

Atmosphere is in fact... partials suspended in the air, depending totally on - lack of air movement ( fans, a.c. Air agitation ) from being detected as the are high-lighted by a key light source . IF, the air gets agitated in any degree, the air partials move.

I watch an episode of Vikings and as the actors walked though the haze caused by the bright window (effect) they not only cast shadows through the haze, but NO atmosphere was stirred and no moment was detected.

It has me in a complete bum-fugal. It defies all logic as I know it.

• Premium Member

Evidently the person in charge of their Haze Dance (the ritualistic choreography of flailing limbs required to settle on-set atmospherics), is an artist of the highest calibre.

• Premium Member

in those instances i'd bet you're seeing the combo of real atmospheric haze as well as a diffusion filter on the lens which is blooming out and washing away a lot of the subtle variations. I've done plenty of shots of people walking through haze where you don't see it move, as have many films, because the room has been properly filled to an even level before hand. If the room is even with haze then the stuff moving "in" is the same in volume as the stuff moving "out" and it also depends on the suspended particle size of the haze (which is why haze and fog fluid are different-- varying sized particles.)

It's not so much so magic, as it is having 40/mil a season and the time/crew/resources to bring together everything.

May be your right. I've never experienced that, although I sure have tried. Cutting all air off (actors in wardrobe) and waiting for complete settlement is exhausting- while filling the room yet keeping the foreground somewhat clean is a test against producers patients and the AD's shooting schedule.

I applaud their accomplishments on the series.

• Premium Member

I can only reiterate previous comments - it can be done, it is very difficult. It requires, probably, a bit of luck, inasmuch as the temperature and humidity probably have to be at some unknown ideal level. Working in a very large room provides space for things to diffuse and a buffer against sudden changes.

Mainly, though, it's a case of having someone available who knows how to wave a bit of cardboard around in just the right way, and having the patience to allow that person to do so. It is rare for it to be that good, but it can be done.

P