Daylighting night

Hi there,

I have this upcoming short I am doing the cinematography for. Most of the story is based in a café and HAS to take place during the day ( according to the director). Problem is the café is not available except after hours at night.

Now the exteriors can be done as pickups to establish the scene, but it is keeping the daylight consistent where I am a bit nervous. My first idea was to rig a 8x8 or 12x12 silk with a 1.2 Arrisun shooting through it. I also thought about bouncing the HMI using the silk yet again. Then I can use my remaining lights for details, and be able to keep “daylight” consistent.

Any thoughts?

The cafe has one VERY big window at the entry so shooting that way is out of the option really.

Happy for any input.

C

• Premium Member

One thing you can do is to cover the windows with 1000H tracing paper and backlight them with a large HMI or Kinos. Then add ambience inside the room. It helps to have something like a Joleko to add a slash of sunlight or a table bounce near the talent. I find actually bouncing from below simulates sunlight quite well.