Aaton, Arriflex buying decision and questions

• Premium Member

...as some of you may know (as I've pulled you into my 'what Super 16mm film camera to purchase' debate - some of you even trying to help me buy one!!!!) I'm in the crucial position of having to go for one system over another....for me its either Aaton XTR or Arriflex SR2/3.

So....a few final questions to you all my learned friends out there....

1. As a price ceiling means I have to forgo the video assist (or do I?) I thus need the brightest viewfinder to focus.....which standard viewfinder/system is best for focusing....I come from Hasselblad 6x6 film experience to know how crucial this is....I am also left-eyed and use glasses for computer work

2. Which of the two has easier film loading process (not necessarily a big issue as one can learn things with practice but wanted to know anyway)

3. The big one - which of the two Aaton XTR or Arriflex SR3 is less reliant on electronics to shoot (aside from the battery requirement to keep the 24fps as accurate as possible of course)

I apologise for questions which Im sure have been asked and answered in different ways in this forum over the years but they are specific to me in this case.....thank you all in advance. I'm from Europe (Gibraltar) and live in Europe if that swings anything....Spain being the nearest service option.....

Importantly I'm a one-man-band 'lover of Kodak film (Kodak Portrait and Tmax being my faves), bucket list: I wanna shoot some personal projects on film' person.....not a professional DP or anything even remotely similar.....I'm a full time professional Designer/Photographer though of nearly 30 years experience with images though.....

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

If you're coming from a Hasselblad, you'll be disappointed with any motion picture optical viewfinder. There's just no substitute for bigger optics and more light! In general 35mm finders will be bigger and brighter than 16mm.

Avoid the SR2 if you want a good viewing experience, the viewfinder is very small and dark. I think the SR3 Advanced or XTR Prod is the way to go. An Arri 416 would be best, but that's probably over-budget.

Both cameras are easy to load. I find the Aaton a bit easier and faster, but the door latches are the weak point so make sure you tape them down. The Aaton runs quieter.

Neither camera will run without a battery. The Aaton is 12v, the SR3/A is 24v. So it's easier and cheaper to power the Aaton. But the SR3 has the more common Arri Fischer accessory power ports for powering accessories. So if you wanted to attach a wireless follow focus or an on-board monitor, the power cables are more commonly available.

The Aaton battery latching design is weak, so it can fall off the camera if the screw comes loose. The SR3 batteries will never fall off.

• Upvote 1

As an ex-owner of an SR3 (current owner of a beat up SR2), I can say for sure that the SR3 is the far superior of the two.

The Arriglow frame guides are worth their weight in gold when you need them.

The digital display and adjustment for frame rates is gold

Adjustable shutter is gold.

Gold Jerry, Gold.