Thoughts on wireless Jam sync devices on camera?

Jay Young

• Premium Member

Shooting this week, the Audio mixer demanded that we attach a wireless jam sync box to the camera, except it has to live is its little neoprene case, must be bongo tied on, and he doesn't want it hook and loop attached to the side.

Fine.

But that causes is issues hourly, its constantly in the way, but he wants to wirelessly jam sync. I don't know if this is the best solution, but it certainly is annoying. I'm not sure what the problem of syncing manually every time we need it is, but this guy...

Anyone else have this encounter? Thoughts about workaround? This is the only sound mixer I have encountered that makes these demands. All my other regulars have systems that seem to work without the need to attach one extra piece of equipment that flops around.

I don't want to be confrontational about it, and I know his job is extremely important, however he doesn't seem to want to work with the camera team or G&E. I'm happy to discuss the lighting plan, camera movements or other aspects with him so we can get his (in my opinion) way too many microphones in without creating shadows, but he won't talk to anyone.

Seeking guidance...

Depends what camera you are using too I guess.. seems some are better than others holding TC.. but these tentacles are very small and light.. you really dont know they are on the camera at all.. internal battery lasts about 40 hrs.. maybe you could rent some.. I agree some big TC gen box lolling round is NG.. doesnt have to be that way these days.. Ambient also do a very tiny one..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• Premium Member

This guy has some special brand that he claims is better for "narrative" than "reality" television like "sound devices......"

So who knows.

I miss the BNCR with the Nagra...............

eh.. TC is TC right.. doesn't matter what your pointing the camera at.. so maybe thats the problem..he,s not using Sound Devices,or a recorder that can do TC out ?.. I think he's just wanting to use the gear he has.. although Sound Devices is pretty much 99.9% the standard audio recorder these days I think.. narrative or anything else..

Maybe you could just slate it then.. its nuts if you cant get the shots because of a TC Gen box !! cant see any DP,s putting up with that..