Micro Four Thirds

Can I use a Micro Four Thirds lens on a C mount camera? Are there adapters out there? There seem to be quite a few adapters allowing users to use C mount lenses on their MFT's cameras but not the other way around. How much bigger is the APS-C sensor than Super 16? What focal lenght will a 12mm MFT lens give me on Super 16?

Thanks

Pav

• Premium Member

It has do do with flange depth and mount diameter, a C mount lens needs to seat almost 2mm inside a m4/3 mount, which is possible because C mount has a smaller diameter than a m4/3 mount, but a m4/3 lens seating less than 2mm in front of the much smaller C mount could be problematic if the lens protrudes back at all.

APS-C is similar in size to 3 perf 35mm, so the same focal length has roughly double the field of view as when used on a 16mm camera.

A 12mm lens stays a 12mm lens no matter the format, so a 12mm lens made for a larger format will look the same on a 16mm camera as a 12mm lens made for 16mm format.

Thanks, I might have this wrong, but wouldn’t the MFT lens need to sit about 1.73mm in front of the C mount? If the image produced is similar to 3 perf 35mm then wouldn’t a 12mm MFT lens be similar to a 25mm lens on Super 16?

Pav

• Premium Member

Yes a m4/3 lens would sit a bit less than 2mm in front of a C mount, but that's very little material to make the mount out of and the lens couldn't protrude past the mount because the C mount behind is so much smaller.

If you've used a 12mm lens on a 16mm camera before, the m4/3 12mm will look exactly the same. 12mm is mildly wide angle on a 16mm camera. On a larger format, any 12mm lens that can cover it will have a wider field of view, but it's still a 12mm lens. On APS-C or S35 cameras a 12mm lens is very wide angle.

If you mean "what focal length will I need to use on a 16mm camera to get the same field of view as a 12mm on an APS-C camera", then the answer is something like a 6mm lens. Or conversely, to get the same view a 12mm lens gives you on a 16mm camera, you need to use something like a 24mm lens on an APS-C camera.

Yes the APS C sensor is bigger, iit's my fault I am looking at MFT lenses, it seems that MFT is only slightly bigger than Super 16. Are the Samsayng lens good?

Pav

Edited by Pavan Deep