Lighting film with non-electric sources

Hi everyone,

I'm still getting my grips of understanding film emulsion still. I shoot a lot of S16 for my personal projects and always think there is more to learn.

Now I have been looking at alternative light sources, like flares, candles, and specifically glow sticks. Is there anything I should think of, or a specific sources you would suggest me to use

I will still do a film test with all this, but I am very curious to learn what you guys can share.

Carl

Any continuous spectrum source, like a candle, should present on film as it does to the eye. Flares and glow sticks are likely to be highly deficient in certain parts of the spectrum, and may well render differently on film than they do to the eye.

Test, test, test....

• Premium Member

Keep in mind also that a source with a strong color cast will have a different color saturation depending on exposure, the more overexposed the light is, the less strong the color is on the face. Often these sources like candles and glow sticks are low in intensity so tend to create a dim but strongly colored effect on a face.