Shooting into the sun

Tiago Pimentel

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is a question for the lighting forum, but here goes. When shooting directly into the sun (thinking mostly of Malick/Lubezki approach), while filming a face in between the sun and the camera (covering and uncovering the sun), I usually run into a problem of contrast and lack of sharpness and detail in the face. Almost as if the sun creates this glare which affects the contrast of the subject I'm filming.

Is this just a matter of having the right lens and lens coating or are there any other cinematography techniques I should be using?

Thanks

I've noticed a similar problem when shooting against light coming through lots of haze. I don't even have to shoot directly against a light. If there's haze in there, it all turns into a big white blur. If i close down the lens or include nd filters, all I get is underexposed footage. It goes from white blur to underexposed in a single stop. Is this normal? Maybe it's the IR filter I'm using that might be bouncing light and creating this weird effect?