How much space does a DV file take up in a PC?

Hi,

I'm about to get a Sony vx-2100, and a doubt just struck me: iof you shoot an entire dv cassette and you transfer it into your pc (full rez), how much space will it take up?

I'm a bit worried because my 80 gig disk might not be enough.

Thanks

Guest ecce_rodrigo
It's a constant bit rate so: 3.75 minutes per gig.

I guess the best thing for you to do is, adding an extra hard drive disk, preferably big more than 300Gb, or even better you can add 2 disks, 160Gb or bigger, in stripe (raid 0) to gain some extra speed. Remember to set your scratch files in this disk(s). Don't use external disks, you won't be able to work well...

Good luck

It's actually a little more than that. At 3.6 MB/sec, 80 gigs will hold 370 minutes of video, which is almost 6 x 64-minute tapes, or 4.62 min/gig.

A few points to note:

I don't know anyone who captures entire tapes. For one thing it's hard on your machine, not to mention impractical. You COULD capture all of it, use markers for selects, and then delete the unused portions afterwards. I could understand if maybe you were editing a multicam live concert. . . Just log and capture the specific clips you need.

Don't use your internal drive to store video media. It will work in a pinch, but it's best to keep them on other drives (and external drives CAN work fine in many cases, but it's best not to capture to them if possible).

You need more space than just for the captures. Every time you render something it creates a new file of the corresponsing length. Also, audio renders, graphics, caches, etc.