Menu settings for PAL 25P short

Brian Drysdale

Hi,

This weekend I'm going to be shooting the first of three short films using a Panasonic SDX 900 with Canon Zooms (An unusual camera here). I'm planning to shoot at 25P on DVPro50, posting on Final Cut Pro for delivery on PAL Digital Betacam for screening at festivals with digital projection and possible TV transmission, with no current plans for a film out . Unfortunately, the camera will only be arriving the day before the shoot with a 9 inch monitor, so there will be little opportunity to test.

For the first film I'm thinking of shooting with the "Film Like 2" gamma selection (For the other shorts I may try out one or two of the scene files from the Panasonic web site). I'm just pondering over the best detail setting for the lenses that we're using.

I notice that there are a number of different settings: the Master DTL in the Paint menu and then "H DTL" levels for each of the gain settings (low, Mid, High). Does the Paint menu override the gain DTL settings? Since I notice the manual recommends different DTL setting for each gain level.

The manual recommended 0 for the V DTL when shooting 25P, so that's the way I plan to set it.

I've got a fair amount of info on the Varicam and used it at the Santa Fe HD Workshops, how much crossover is there?

Brian Drysdale,

DP & Steadicam

Belfast