London Olympics

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

Oh, brilliant. Seven years of construction hell and a gigantic money soak away from all the areas of London that really need funding. And at the end of the day it'll be a horrible, miserable games under a permanent blanket of overcast and driving rain in the filthiest, most backward part of a filthy, backward city.

In case anyone's wondering exactly why this is relevant to cinematography, or indeed why I'm quite so incensed about it, my route into the centre of town goes absolutely directly through the proposed Olympic park, with the railway line right next to where the aquatics centre's going to be. Much as they haven't been able to close the line to make repairs so trains can approach Liverpool Street at more than walking pace, I have a funny feeling they won't have any problem messing the transport network about to accomodate another giant white elephant project (See: Dome, Millennium.)

I'll see you on site in about 2013, by which time I should imagine it'll be a dripping ruin of a billboard for local graffiti artists.

Gah.

Phil

I got the part about you being incensed about it, but not the part about its relevance to cinematography?

Blame Jacque Chirac, he let fly what he really thinks of the British, it probably cost Paris key votes.

Also, do you think the London games can be a bigger boondogle than Montreal's?

You can sublet your apartment for a fortune during the games.

R,

• Premium Member

Actually, I think we could possibly tie this thread into cinematography....here goes. We could blame Luc Besson for London winning the 2012 bid. If he had shot a half decent promo film for the French bid, Phil would'nt have had to worry about his commuting......

Oh, brilliant. Seven years of construction hell and a gigantic money soak away from all the areas of London that really need funding.

Just what I thought 12 years ago when Sydney got the gig.

But Phil, if you can survive the construction phase, and the incessant hype on the media about whether the buildings will be finished on time how wonderful it's going to be, and how much money it's going to bring the city, and about how much fun it will be for all the volunteer officials(excuse me, if it's a money-making venture what is all this about volunteers?), then book yourself a holiday during the actual event. Leave the country. Go somewhere totally out of contact with the rest of the world. Not only will you enjoy missing the whole excessive obsessive splurge, when you get back you will find everyone telling you how great it was with all the non-sporting whingers out of town.

Well, that's what happened here.

Hey Phil if you're really lucky Canada will send one of their famous doped up runners, who will win a gold medal, and then get busted for drugs.

The media feeding frenzy will completely over shadow the games, remember Ben Johnson in Seoul 88?

How could any one think he was a doper, he had such a sleek runners body, he didn't look at all like he belonged on the weight lifting team.

R,

• Premium Member
If you're really lucky Canada will send one of their famous doped up runners, who will win a gold medal, and then get busted for drugs.

Ha! At least in that part of London he won't have to risk bringing the drugs through Heathrow - there are plenty to buy there already!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Just what I thought 12 years ago when Sydney got the gig.

But Phil, if you can survive the construction phase, and the incessant hype on the media about whether the buildings will be finished on time how wonderful it's going to be, and how much money it's going to bring the city, and about how much fun it will be for all the volunteer officials(excuse me, if it's a money-making venture what is all this about volunteers?), then book yourself a holiday during the actual event. Leave the country. Go somewhere totally out of contact with the rest of the world. Not only will you enjoy missing the whole excessive obsessive splurge, when you get back you will find everyone telling you how great it was with all the non-sporting whingers out of town.

Well, that's what happened here.

I'm sorry for you Phil, and I tell you what, Dominic's idea is great, and as to apologize you for the pain in the ass we froggies 'caused you, I would be glad to invite you on the Riviera if you want !

The only point is, if Richard's idea about subleting your flat sounds great, on the money side, I'm afraid it might be a bloody mess when you come back !

• Premium Member
I'm sorry for you Phil, and I tell you what, Dominic's idea is great, and as to apologize you  for the pain in the ass we froggies 'caused you, I would be glad to invite you on the Riviera if you want !

Did I mention that I, too, was feeling really inconvenienced about the London Olympics?

• 2 months later...