best camera for film student

Hi, I know there must be hundreds of posts about this subject but still I haven't been able to clear my thoughts.

I would like to know what camera suits best to my needs. I am a film student and I'm specially interested in makin music videos and short films that allow me to increase my knoeledge in cinematography. My budget is also an issue since I really don't have more than 6.000 us, to spend.

I was guessing that my best choices would be canon's XL2 or panasonic DVX 100A because of their 24p function, but what about sony's new HD models or going straight ahead with a film camera.

The main plataforms for my work hopefully would be local televison but then again if I want to send any of my shorts out to the festival circuits I must get a copy on film, and as far as I know that can be really expensive.

I will apreciate any comments , thanks.

You won't need a print to film - many festivals use digital projection now. A print for a feature from DV would cost you in the neighborhood of $30,000, for one print.

If you have 6,000 to spend, I would definitely go with either a DVX100 or an XL2. If you can wait, Panasonic is releasing an HVX200. It will likely cost around 6 or 7K, and can shoot 1080 24P. I would assume this would be a fantastic deal, and it would be within your price range.

If you need a camera right now, I would go with either of the ones you mentioned.

Here's what I would do, Get the XL2 and shoot my stuff for your television on that and practice with the xl2 on your shorts. Learn to make that look good. Then when I project calls for it, and you can budget it with the help of other students shoot a project on film and rent the equipment. But thats just me, do what you want.

• Premium Member

I honestly think an XL2 would be a good camera to learn with. I would suggest that during the early stages, concentrate and put more energy into learning than buying gear. Get something you can work with and put the accessories on hold. Read some books and watch some movies. Good luck.

• Premium Member

Hi Martin: In addition to the excellent comments made in this thread, you may wish to refer to my recent replies to a similar question here:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...?showtopic=7836

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

Hi, I know there must be hundreds of posts about this subject but still I haven't been able to clear my thoughts.

I would like to know what camera suits best to my needs. I am a film student and I'm specially interested in makin music videos and short films that allow me to increase my knoeledge in cinematography.              My budget is also an issue since I really don't have more than 6.000 us, to spend.

I was guessing that my best choices would be canon's XL2 or panasonic DVX 100A because of their 24p function, but what about sony's new HD models or going straight ahead with a film camera.

The main plataforms for my work hopefully would be local televison but then again if I want to send any of my shorts out to the festival circuits I must get a copy on film, and as far as I know that can be really expensive.

I will apreciate any comments , thanks.

I think the first question you need to consider is what the primary result of your project will be (on film or on video), since it's usually most cost effective to stay within the medium you're working in (if the end result is to be film, shoot film. If video, shoot video). If this were an important work of art, I'd shoot on film for archival purposes to protect your investment (since film is hardware independent, the technology is in the film itself and can be scanned into future video formats), then you'd need to work out your budget and see what deals can be had.

Edited by Nguyen D. Nguyen

Also, if you need to resell after a project or after school, you can probably get almost as much as you paid for a film camera by reselling it (if you buy it used)... but a digital camera would probably be nearly obsolete because of the dramatic and very rapid advances in technology.

You'll aslo get that oh so coveted "film look."

Steven

I think I would wait for the new HD cameras to get really good. Maybe they are ready this year...now!

The Sony I saw and the Panasonics I have read about are truely wonderfull moving image capturing devices.

Seeing the Light