Help with decision: Arri 150 vs. Pepper 100

Hello,

I am adding a few things to my (small) kit. I shoot both film & video and need two or three little fresnels. I've used pepper 100's and Arri 150's a few times and like the size of the peppers.

However, I would like input from others as to the difference in quality of light from these fresnels since they have different reflectors and lenses.

Is there a general preference?

Is the throw that different?

(As an aside, dedo's are too pricey for me right now.)

Thank you in advance for your input,

CJ

• Premium Member

Peppers' wiring shorts out and works loose often. I think Arris are a little better built. Dedo's might be better but cost a LOT more. Arri 150- $230, Dedo 150w- $670. You can buy many bulbs for $450.

• Premium Member
Peppers' wiring shorts out and works loose often. I think Arris are a little better built. Dedo's might be better but cost a LOT more. Arri 150- $230, Dedo 150w- $670. You can buy many bulbs for $450.

Hi,

You can't really compare the Dedo 150 with the Arri 150, the dedo is FAR brighter and much more flexable. You should go down to your local rental house and compare them. With the prices I pay in Switzerland for bulbs the dedo is 'FREE' after 2/3 years of use.

For $450 you can get around 15 bulbs for a pepper. You will still be on your first bulb with the Dedolight!

Stephen

The last time I priced Dedo heads (just head no transformer or built in supply) they were around $200-250, that's just the head. You can easily make a 12v or 24v power supply, if you are handy with tools, using electronic transformers for MR-16 fixtures. The 100 watt bulb is a 12v and the 150 watt is 24v. But if you are set on Arri or LTM Pepper I would go with the Arri also, they are much better built. But if you want a great light go with the Dedo.

Thanks, everyone. Great advice, good points.

If I get the Dedo's right now, that means no Kino Diva 400, which is on my need-right-now list. I'm going to get an arri 150 right now and stick to renting the dedo's for the time being.

But after the fine points put forward here, I'll set aside some cash (or hit some schoolkids up for their lunch money) and buy one or two dedo's down the road.

Thanks again,

CJ

Making things happen with lunch money budgets

• Premium Member
Hi,

You can't really compare the Dedo 150 with the Arri 150, the dedo is FAR brighter and much more flexable. You should go down to your local rental house and compare them. With the prices I pay in Switzerland for bulbs the dedo is 'FREE' after 2/3 years of use.

For $450 you can get around 15 bulbs for a pepper. You will still be on your first bulb with the Dedolight!

Stephen

How bright would you say the Dedo light is and how is it more flexible? I see how it would take less power to operate, but are there other advantages? Here's a website where you can order 100w bulbs for $12.75, which is roughly 30 bulbs for $450.

• Premium Member
How bright would you say the Dedo light is and how is it more flexible? I see how it would take less power to operate, but are there other advantages? Here's a website where you can order 100w bulbs for $12.75, which is roughly 30 bulbs for $450.

Hi,

Compare the photometric date of a dedo then look at the other lamps. They also have a much greater range flood to spot. As for the bulbs how long will those 30 bulbs burn? The bulbs for the dedolight run to 3000 hours each, are not delicate, you can drop a burning light and the bulb is not damaged. I used to think I could not afford dedo's that was 10 years ago. Now I have got rid of the other small lamps and have saved a fortune!

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi,

Compare the photometric date of a dedo then look at the other lamps. They also have a much greater range flood to spot. As for the bulbs how long will those 30 bulbs burn? The bulbs for the dedolight run to 3000 hours each, are not delicate, you can drop a burning light and the bulb is not damaged. I used to think I could not afford dedo's that was 10 years ago. Now I have got rid of the other small lamps and have saved a fortune!

Stephen

I might look into getting one. I like that 1K softlight with the built in speedring. What models do you use? The $2000 models are out of my price range, but $700 for the softlight sounds reasonable.

• Premium Member

I have two Dedo DLH4 heads, with a power supply for each, that take 100w (12v) and 250w (24v) lamps. I also have a projection attachment. Not having used the Arri and Pepper lights, I can't draw a comparison, but I am very happy with the Dedos, and the photometrics, at least on paper, are very attractive. The Dedos are also very well built.

Lately, I have been thinking about buying a 650w Dedo. Although one might think that the design is the same, the published photometrics, in comparison with those of competitors, are not as interesting as those published for the DLH4. If anyone knows why the photometrics are different, or has experience with the 650w, I'd appreciate comments.

• Premium Member
If anyone knows why the photometrics are different, or has experience with the 650w, I'd appreciate comments.

Hi,

I bought some 650's when they first came out. The original ones had an issue with the barn doors falling off! The light output is nearer a 1K. Fully spotted the light output exceeds that of a 5K fully spotted! Very versitile, but the bulbs don't last for ever so there are no cost advantages here. The 400w HMI version is interesting too. Worth a look!

Stephen

• Premium Member

Between the Arri and Pepper (I'm with the "get the dedo" crowd, but I'll give my either/or opinion) definately get the Arri. While I don't own either, I work in the equipment cage for my university program and we can usually see what is tough and what is not, since some people don't take the best care of our equipment. The peppers are always on the down-equipment list. The wiring seems to come lose, short, etc. monthly. The arris are tough as nails.

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member
The last time I priced Dedo heads (just head no transformer or built in supply) they were around $200-250, that's just the head. You can easily make a 12v or 24v power supply, if you are handy with tools, using electronic transformers for MR-16 fixtures.

Thanks to the wonderful advice given here (especially by Stephen W., you are very persuasive!) I'm planning to buy one of the 150W Dedo's. I'm curious to hear about how to "easily make a 24v power supply" and save myself some currency! Is it worth it?

• Premium Member
Thanks to the wonderful advice given here (especially by Stephen W., you are very persuasive!) I'm planning to buy one of the 150W Dedo's. I'm curious to hear about how to "easily make a 24v power supply" and save myself some currency! Is it worth it?

Brian,

Dedo have recently released a 24v dimmer for the 150w lights. I think its worth the money. I have seen Kaylights on E-Bay selling some new kits and single lights, at discounted prices.

I have modified domestic power supplies for 12v Dedo's, its worth it for getting started but in the end you will want to upgrade.

Cheers

Stephen

• Premium Member

Thanks Stephen. Long term I would like to own three Dedo 150's and the 3-light transformer. So, that's why I thought about going "cheap" initially with a domestic transformer, just to get my foot in the door. Then, buy the additional heads and transformer when I need them.

This isn't an easy decision because the resale value of a single transformer probably isn't very high.

Thanks for your advice.

• Premium Member
Thanks Stephen. Long term I would like to own three Dedo 150's and the 3-light transformer. So, that's why I thought about going "cheap" initially with a domestic transformer, just to get my foot in the door. Then, buy the additional heads and transformer when I need them.

This isn't an easy decision because the resale value of a single transformer probably isn't very high.

Thanks for your advice.

Hi,

I just bought a 1 year old 3 light transformer from a Dedo Dealer for about $340. It had been used for an exibition. I guess you will end up with a 4th light!

Stephen

• Premium Member

Brian,

Dedolights require a power supply to operate. This means that the resale value of the heads and the transformers should be the same as a percentage of their purchase price. If there are a bunch of people building DIY power supplies for these lights, it is news to me, and if someone offered me a Dedo head with a DIY power supply, I'd sure want to know, for certain, that the power supply was ok.

The advantage of the 24 volt supply that serves 3 lights is that it can be used in different countries that use different voltages. This is a big issue if you intend to travel internationally with your lights.

The disadvantages, in comparison with the individual power supplies, is that it is heavy (not real heavy, but relatively so), you have to wire all three lights to one box and one outlet, and its dimmer capability is in steps rather than continuous.

Stephen got a really good deal, but short of that, you may conclude that you are better off with individual supplies. Pricing may have changed, but when I bought my lights, three individual supplies didn't cost all that much more than the three light box, and I decided, after looking at both options, that the former made more sense in my circumstances.

One consideration was that I was told, by a rep at a New York outfit that rents lighting gear, that in New York these lights are invariably used with individual supplies. This is strictly anecdotal, but it suggested to me that the resale value of Dedolights with individual supplies might be higher than the resale value of lights sold with a three light box.

Ironically, it appears that I may indeed want to use these lights in Europe. This means that my options are to use them at 100w from a 12v battery, buy a three light box, rent a box or individual power supplies in Europe or use step-up transformers.

Question for Stephen or others who are using this company's lights: If I recall correctly, the current Dedo catalogue includes a softbox system. Has anyone tried it?

• Premium Member
Ironically, it appears that I may indeed want to use these lights in Europe. This means that my options are to use them at 100w from a 12v battery, buy a three light box, rent a box or individual power supplies in Europe or use step-up transformers.

Thanks R. Edge for your advice. I was in Europe (Romania) a few months back and met some guys in a band that used 120v sound equipment. They were using a step-up transformer for the amps and keyboard. It seemed to work fine. They were in the 1000-watt range, I believe. It was a pretty big transformer. Hope this helps.