Emulation of Super 8 on a digital slr

Christopher Guerrero

I was watching some home movie footage a couple of months ago, on a video projector, that I thought was super 8. Turns out it was shot with a 4-5mp camera 320X240 @15fps. An individual frame of super 8 by itself looks crisp and sharp but at 18 fps between the plate on the camera and the gate on the projector the image can look quite soft because of varying registration.

To acheive an aproximation of the same exposure you probably want to slow your shutter down as much as you can get away with, 1/30 or 1/60. If you're in bright sunlight or even outside during the day you should probably consider using an nd filter, so you can shoot at the same stop you shot in super 8 and maintain the depth of field. Take Care, Jason.

ok, got them. Note, these frames are approx 20 frames apart, and I didn't have the D2X properly whitebalanced at the time, but hopefully they will be clear enough for what I'm referring to. They also are extremely cropped, being roughly 1/32nd of the whole frame. I blew them up so as to be clear about what I'm trying to say.

D70.jpg

D70

D2X.jpg

D2X