Billabong Oddessy Movie

Myself being an extremely keen surfer & a wanna-be surf film-maker & photog, I was pretty excited when the surf film "Billabong Oddessy".

So I went to my local R-Max theatre (formerly IMAX) here in Perth to watch it but was quite disappointed at the quality of all the water footage (I assume it was shot from a jet-ski or similar) It was soooo shaky & unclear & can not understand why this is so & why they used the water footage at all. The helicopter & other footage I thought was good, esp the first wave on the movie. I hear they used 24P 1080, can anyone confirm this?

Any comments?...

• Premium Member

I'm betting more than one format was used - there were up to nine cameras running at once. A quote from one of the photographers, Frank Quirarte: 'Look at this guy trying to get an interview of me on his fXXking digital poop!' . Um..Gene Sive Productions provided some of the gear. And the helicopters were JetRangers.

Mike Prickett is the credited cinemtographer an' this is his site. Uses everything from MiniDV up to 35. No mention of HD, but that doesn't mean anything.

• 3 months later...