"Normal" shutter speed for 30p?

Peter J DeCrescenzo

• Premium Member
If it's true the "normal" shutter speed for 24p is 1/48 sec., then is the normal shutter speed for 30p 1/60 sec.?

- Peter DeCrescenzo

It's the default when the shutter is in the "off" position, as well.

(It's 4:30am and I gotta go to Baltimoooooore! And it has nothing to do with John Waters.)

• Premium Member
It's the default when the shutter is in the "off" position, as well.

Interesting. But when my new NTSC DSR-450WSL is in 30p mode, the default ("off") shutter speed appears to be different than when I turn the shutter on (and set it to 1/60-sec.). When this cam is in 30p mode, the shutter speed setting start at 1/40, then 1/60, and up from there. You can't select 1/30 other than turning off the electronic shutter, or by using "ECS" (clear scan).

The exposure which results from the above two settings is quite different -- "off" is brighter, and "on" @ 1/60-sec. is darker -- which is what I'd expect.

I'm guessing the "default/off" shutter speed is 1/30-sec. The camera doesn't display a shutter speed value when the shutter is off.

Does that sound about right? Or do different brand/model cams handle this differently?

All the best,

- Peter

Edited by Peter DeCrescenzo

• Premium Member
do different brand/model cams handle this differently?

Hi Peter,

hmm. This is interesting. On the DVX100a, the default isn't really mentioned either. But, 1/30th is noticeably/remarkably brighter than the default. And, 1/60th is slightly darker than the default. It appears the default is stuck somewhere between 1.30th and 1/60th, yet much closer to 1/60th.

(I would post grabs, but I'm about to head out of town.. Sorry)

Hope this helps,

Brian

• Premium Member
Interesting. But when my new NTSC DSR-450WSL is in 30p mode, the default ("off") shutter speed appears to be different than when I turn the shutter on (and set it to 1/60-sec.). When this cam is in 30p mode, the shutter speed setting start at 1/40, then 1/60, and up from there. You can't select 1/30 other than turning off the electronic shutter, or by using "ECS" (clear scan).

The exposure which results from the above two settings is quite different -- "off" is brighter, and "on" @ 1/60-sec. is darker -- which is what I'd expect.

I'm guessing the "default/off" shutter speed is 1/30-sec. The camera doesn't display a shutter speed value when the shutter is off.

Does that sound about right? Or do different brand/model cams handle this differently?

All the best,

- Peter

That could be right. I haven't had a chance to use one of those cams yet. I suppose that since your shutter speed menu, in 30p, starts at 1/40, that must mean the default is 1/30. That would be different than most of their other cams, though.

Does that camera have "digital super-gain"? I'm shooting (again) with an SDX900 for a week and it has DSG which is VERY cool. It's basically a digital representation of a 1/6 second shutter so the motion is veeeery blurred. Really cool. And you can see in near darkness with little noise. The downside is that it only works in 60i. Not sure why.

• Premium Member
Does that camera have "digital super-gain"? I'm shooting (again) with an SDX900 for a week and it has DSG which is VERY cool. It's basically a digital representation of a 1/6 second shutter so the motion is veeeery blurred. Really cool. And you can see in near darkness with little noise. The downside is that it only works in 60i. Not sure why.

The DSR-450WS has a Slow Shutter which is a feature of its interlaced mode (only).

On the NTSC version, Slow Shutter can be set to 1/30, 1/15, 1/10, 1/7.5, 1/6, 1/5, 1/4.3, 1/3.8, and 1/1.9 of a sec. The PAL version offers slightly different Slow Shutter values.

FYI: The user manual for the DSR-400 & DSR-450WS camcorders is now available for download in the "Manuals and DOC's" area of cinematography.com.

All the best,

- Peter