DIY developing

Chris Alex

• Premium Member

I'd be interested in learning cost estimates for these chemicals, and if it's worth the trouble versus taking stuff to the lab. Found a few good links on the Kodak website:

Processing EASTMAN EKTACHROME Color Reversal Films, Module 11 Process VNF-1 Specifications

KODAK PROFESSIONAL Single-Use Chemistry Kit, Process E-6

Chemicals, Process E-6

• Premium Member

The Kodak processing specifications (E-6, ECN-2, ECP-2, etc.) are all on the Kodak website. Although short lengths DYI is practical for the films that don't have rem-jet, it is rarely competitive with a film lab for cost and quality. DYI is fun, and can be tailored for a unique "look", but usually not used for "bread and butter" filmmaking:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/...=0.1.4.13&lc=en

Is is worth doing it myself.

Is the resault worth the money and time its gonna save me?

Is there anything in the process that can be difficult to do or need any special skills?

I dont want to destroy my footage.

Edited by ALX

• Premium Member
Is is worth doing it myself.

Is the resault worth the money and time its gonna save me?

Is there anything in the process that can be difficult to do or need any special skills?

I dont want to destroy my footage.

Only you can answer those questions. If you are doing it to learn, or to have fun, or to achieve a "look" you cannot get from a film laboratory, it's worth doing. Don't expect to save lots of money, or to not encounter problems unique to home processing.

Start out with footage that you are willing to experiment with. For the cost of the film, chemicals, equipment (maybe borrowed), and your time, you'll find out what you can achieve.

I process my own super8 and 16mm color reversal and I say its worth it.

I have the 5L single use kodak E-6 kit, cost was about $80cdn.

I also use smaller multiple use E-6 kits which are about $15cdn.

With the release of the new Kodak 64T film, things will only get easier as the new film doesn't have and black backing on it to worry about..

The trick with home developing is to process enough film at one time to justify the chemical costs. E64T processes using the E-6 chemicals, so if you can find a kit at a reasonable price and you have the facilities, go for it. Home Processing is fun!

The trick with home developing is to process enough film at one time to justify the chemical costs. E64T processes using the E-6 chemicals, so if you can find a kit at a reasonable price and you have the facilities, go for it. Home Processing is fun!

For those interested, I can process 5 super8 films for about $15cdn at home.