Older Zoom Lenses with Full S16 Coverage

Jason Banker

Hi,

I have noticed that there are 3 Angenieux lenses that are listed as having full S16 coverage. They are priced alot cheaper than those made for S16. Here is link to the resource:

http://www.cinematechnic.com/resources/opt...r_super-16.html

My question would be even though they don't have the multicoating and other features of modern lenses what is the real world impact on the picture quality?

How much of a image loss is there, maybe in a percentage value?

Would you work with one of these lenses if it was all you could afford for a zoom?

Also if you had to choose one of these lenses which one would you pick?

Angenieux 11-66mm T2.6

Angenieux 15-150mm T 2.8

Angenieux 16-44mm T 1.3

Did you look at the 16mm Camera Book? I think it gives the pros and cons of most of those lenses. Anyway, the Angenieux are generally regarded as softer than their counterparts. Which may be alright but perhaps not if you're blowing up to 35mm.

What kind of camera?

Steven

• Premium Member
Don't forget the Angenieux 25-250mm, 35mm zoom that covers super 16.

HI,

IMHO the old 25-250 is a piece of poop! I took a working one to pieces yesterday as I need some glass for a prop! Its would have fetched $200 on e-bay on a good day. Don't waste film shooting S16 with one!

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi Stephen,

When was the angenieux last used in anger in movies ?

As it is a 35mm lens is the centre section not sharp enough for super 16 use. Thanks.

Hi,

I am talking about the 1960's one, often sold on Ebay for 200 -400 USD. If you stop the lens down to 5.6 -8 it is quite sharp but very bad chromatic abberations (spelling!). Color fringing and all those sort of things. Until Cooke came out with the 20-100 zoom in 1971, zoom lenses had a bad name. If you shoot Super 16 for blow up to 35mm the lenses have to resolve at least twice as much as a lens for 35mm. That is the reason that HD zooms and Digi- Primes are so expensive.

The lasest 25-250 from Angeniux is very very good!

Stephen

Basically my situation is that I broke the bank to get into the Super 16 arena and then realized that the lenses cost as much as the camera.

So I bought a 9.5mm and a 16mm optar illumina primes for about $1,500 so I can at least get an image on the film but won't be able to go the other $5000 for a good zoom. I would like to do some beauty work with facial closeups for at least some of my shots so getting a zoom is somewhat important.

At first I am only going to focus on DV or HD quality transfers of the s16 footage for my personal projects. Will any of the cheaper lenses be of use for that purpose? If so which one is my best bet?

Steven my camera is a Aaton LTR 54 with a PL mount.

Edited by Jason B

• Premium Member
Basically my situation is that I broke the bank to get into the Super 16 arena and then realized that the lenses cost as much as the camera.

So I bought a 9.5mm and a 16mm optar illumina primes for about $1,500 so I can at least get an image on the film but won't be able to go the other $5000 for a good zoom. I would like to do some beauty work with facial closeups for at least some of my shots so getting a zoom is somewhat important.

At first I am only going to focus on DV or HD quality transfers of the s16 footage for my personal projects. Will any of the cheaper lenses be of use for that purpose? If so which one is my best bet?

Steven my camera is a Aaton LTR 54 with a PL mount.

Hi,

The lenses are the most important part of the equation IMHO. I would rent a longer prime lens for face close ups for now. I assume your personal projects are for your show-reel? Wait until you can afford a really good lens, you won't regret it. The 2 cheap zooms I bought were a waste of money, shipping and customs charges doubled the cost!

Stephen