Broken Flowers

Looked like 35mm but shot through a net, which Fredrick Elmes does a lot of.

Actual gauze, or a pro mist or what? Didn't much care for the look, I like detail.

I don't recall Elmes doing this on Night on Earth, during the static night shots of exterior environments (in each location, separating each sequence). Is this a new things for Elmes?

Alain

• Premium Member

A net is type of pantyhose material.

No, he shoots thru nets all the time. "Ride with the Devil" and "Kinsey" for example, both shot in anamorphic with nets. He doesn't do it on every film, just many of them.

I think some of "Blue Velvet" used nets but definitely heavier nets were used in "Wild at Heart".

It's just a matter of taste.

The net in "Broken Flowers" is pretty subtle, so I'm not 100% sure, but on some of the glints off of passing cars, you can see a slight fringey star-filter-ish pattern.

• 1 month later...

There's something about this film that looked very Melville-like to me, not only the shot of the car alone in the field, but also something about the quality of the cold light. It isn't a CTB blue, but a different, greyer blue that suffuses this movie.

Any idea what was on the lights?

chuck

• Premium Member
A net is type of pantyhose material.

The net in "Broken Flowers" is pretty subtle, so I'm not 100% sure, but on some of the glints off of passing cars, you can see a slight fringey star-filter-ish pattern.

Yes, using a net (or nylon mesh material from pantyhose) to reduce contrast can act like a mild "star filter" where you can see the diffraction pattern in the specular highlights. Worth bearing in mind as you orient the mesh in front of the lens. The amount of the "stars" seen also depends on the f/stop.