Jump to content

Expulsive - Directed by Jota Aronak


Recommended Posts

  • Sustaining Member

 

Last Summer I had the chance to work with my friend Jota on a really really really small project that was going to have a bit of narrative in it. 

I was absolutely delighted when Jota gave me a call and told me that he wanted me to shoot it because I had wanted to work with him on something with no client / agency since we started working together (we have only worked together on narrative commercials yet still commercials). 
When I first met him he had finished directing his first movie, IRA, which I thought that was extraordinary and having seen how he directs, the way he blocks actions and  how he likes moving the camera to add dynamism I jumped onto the wagon and said: yeah!. 

The video was going to be for a dance teacher friend of him and, obviously,  the budget was pretty thin (kind of around 4K if I remember correctly).
They had the money to pay for the location, we made a deal with a camera rental place and a lighting rental place in Madrid that I'm friends with and we shot for one day. 

We shot on the Sony Venice at various ASA (from 2500 to 10000) with a couple of Zeiss Supreme Prime lenses, and we had a lot of fun! 

My lighting package was: 2 mirrors, 1 china ball and 1 x 2.5K. 
Colour grading was done in El Colorado with my usual colour grader Noemi Lallave, who did an amazing job with the little time that she had available for us. 

And here it is!

Expulsive

Thanks for watching it and hopefully you like it! 🙂 

Edited by Miguel Angel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beautiful use of available light and stunning locations.  Really it’s a whole package between costumes, performance, blocking and shots. A real visual treat.  
 

I work in theatre so I particularly appreciate the convergence of modern dance and film. Editing and cinematography felt super in tune with choreography.  
 

We’re you using a gimbal or steady cam? Lots of very smooth movement. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Sustaining Member
13 hours ago, Shawn Sagady said:

Beautiful use of available light and stunning locations.  Really it’s a whole package between costumes, performance, blocking and shots. A real visual treat.  
 

I work in theatre so I particularly appreciate the convergence of modern dance and film. Editing and cinematography felt super in tune with choreography.  
 

We’re you using a gimbal or steady cam? Lots of very smooth movement. 

Hi Shawn! 

Many thanks for your post and feedback!!! 
Jota and myself always work with the same people (production designer, editor and sound designer, the 3 of them did an amazing job!) and we were all super excited about this 😊 I do think that you can feel that in the piece (hopefully! 😄

We shot 90% of the video on steadicam with a super good steadicam operator called Andres Lopez-Herce, the other 10% was me operating hand-held.

Thanks again!!! 😊 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

Forum Sponsors

Visual Products

VidGear.com - Broadcast Video Warehouse

FJS International

Film Gears

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Serious Gear

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Cinematography Books and Gear



×
×
  • Create New...