zoom lenses

Dan Goulder

• Premium Member

Of those of you you've had experience with both the Angenieux 25-250 (non-HP or HR) and the 20-120 zooms, could you please describe the differences between them, aside from focal length and speed? Is there a noticeable difference in clarity, or other aspects? Will one intercut better with primes than the other? Are the differences pronounced or subtle? I realize these are subjective questions, but I also respect the input and experience of a number of members of this forum. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Of those of you you've had experience with both the Angenieux 25-250 (non-HP or HR) and the 20-120 zooms, could you please describe the differences between them, aside from focal length and speed?  Is there a noticeable difference in clarity, or other aspects?  Will one intercut better with primes than the other?  Are the differences pronounced or subtle?  I realize these are subjective questions, but I also respect the input and experience of a number of members of this forum.  Thank you.

Hi,

I think you are talking about 30+ year old Angeniux Zooms. Both of the lenses can be bought on E-Bay for 200-500 USD. A couple of weeks ago I stripped down a 25-250 to use the glass as a prop! Both lenses are sharpish if you stop them down to 5.6/8 Split. The 20-120 is the better of the 2. They don't cut well with modern primes. I bought both and basically wasted my money! A Cooke 20-100 from Ebay for 2000 USD is a far better lens.

Just my 2c.

Stephen

• Premium Member
I've been waiting for one to pop up for aaaaages...

Some sites are selling them but usually at $4000-$5000 which is too much I think.

JD

Hi,

I paid $2000 for a Cooke 20-100 on E Bay, it had some cleaning marks on the front element, It was suposed to be perfect! The same seller sold a less clean one for $1600 . A couple of weeks ago a very clean one went for under $2300. People advertise them at 3K+ but nobody ever bids!

Stephen

Hi,

I paid $2000  for a Cooke 20-100 on E Bay, it had some cleaning marks on the front element, It was suposed to be perfect! The same seller sold a less clean one for $1600 . A couple of weeks ago a very clean one went for under $2300. People advertise them at 3K+ but nobody ever bids!

Stephen

hmmm

why don't i ever see them? ;)

i must be using a wrong search or something...

• 3 weeks later...

Having said that 'GET CARTER' ( 1971?) was shot on an angenieux 25-250...and many other wonderful, gritty films of the era.

It really depends what feel your after...sometimes I think the quality of lenses and stock is so good these days that they run the risk of losing the 'soul' that film can bring to a production.

Remember it's the story that counts.

Cheers

Rob Spence