Megalopolis and Ron Fricke

Jarin Blaschke

I found it interesting to learn that Ron Fricke (Baraka, Koyaanisqatsi) is/will be shooting Coppola's epic new film, Megalopolis. His work is phenominal, but I found it odd that someone would hire a cinematographer that has only shot documentary material, using natural light almost exclusively - not to mention someone who has never shot an artificial setting with actors and a literal script. Does anyone else feel like this is an especially brave maneuver for such a large production? Risky even?

From the pages of the Honolulu Weekly:

The gold-standard HD camera, developed by Sony (camera) and Panavision (lenses), is the 24p, which was used for Clones and Francis Ford Coppola?s Megalopolis, currently in production. Smaller, mini-HDs, with less visual integrity, range in cost from $800 to $3,000 and are used by some film schools and filmmakers, whose work is then transferred to film (Dancing in the Dark and Time Code are examples.)

The Weekly spoke to cinematographer Ron Fricke (Baraka, Megalopolis), who has worked on three HD projects. A veteran of 8 mm, l6 mm, 35 mm and 70 mm filmmaking, Fricke says flatly that HD is the future of (most) moviemaking.

"It?s much faster, less cumbersome, more mobile ? and less costly," Fricke says.

"I?ve just seen the prototype for the new camera due out in a year," Fricke reports. "It?s amazing ? and, no lie, it has more visual integrity than film."

http://www.honoluluweekly.com/archives/cov...-02%20Film.html

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest sovranflow

it's a tough call. i'm a film snob for sure, but history has always shown a prejudice towards new technology. the field is constantly changing and the hope would be that it changes in a forward, positive direction. plus, new technology opens up new avenues of thought, more push to move the medium ahead. but his past work is brilliant and i was surprised to see that he said that.