30p DV camera suggestions

Mark Allen

Hi - I'm doing a half day instert shoot for some elements on a video and need to rent a 30p DV camera. Was wondering if someone might have a suggestion of a camera to look for and maybe even a place to look for it. Thanks. (24p might be okay as well, but 30p is preference.)

You didn't state if you wanted 1/3" cams or 2/3" cams.

On the 1/3" options, you have Panasonic DVX 100a. That's the one I know about. Don't know if PD170 has P scanning.

On the 2/3" you have XDCam/IMX. This camera shoots 24P. I think it also records 30P, but not quite sure. Anybody know?

You also have DVCPro. Panasonic SDX900.

Well if you shooting in DV...

There also the Canon XL2 which can shoot in 30P and 16x9

I believe that the JVC HD100u also shoot in 30P and 16x9

And of course there is the aforementioned Panasonic DVX100a

There are three choices all cheaper than DVCPro...

• Premium Member

Hi,

I imagine he's talking about any of the smart deinterlacers which will intelligently decide what's interlaced and what isn't. Since interlaced areas tend to be motion-blurred anyway, blending them doesn't have such an impact on sharpness, and areas which aren't interlaced are left alone.

Free tools are available to do this.

Phil

• Premium Member

I believe the Sony Z1 can record true 30p in native 16:9 when it's used in DV/DVCAM mode.

But don't use its fake "24p" Cineframe mode; it's awful.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

Well, no matter what I use, I have to rent it because my sony pd150 was stolen. So, I figured might as well rent what I really want. Seems like the rental on the dvx100a is $150 US in L.A..

Guess that'll do. Thanks for the tips.

• 3 weeks later...
Does that mean your DSR-450 has a better 24P mode than the Z1?  I'm considering the 450.

The 450 has true 24PsF.

I've seen Z1 24 Cinemotion and it looks similar to Nattress' G Film filter but without the interlace strobing. If you try reverse telecining in program's like After Effects, there's a definite stutter.