Kodak Why?

Dave Plake

• Premium Member
Why did Kodak do away with 800T?  The fastest speed film they have now is 500.

The Kodak VISION2 technologies allowed such a significant improvement in grain and sharpness that the old 800T film was actually grainier than the new Kodak VISION2 500T Color Negative Film 5218/7218 rated at EI-1000 and pushed one stop.

One of those Kodak technologies is "two electron sensitization":

http://wwwcaen.kodak.com/US/en/motion/prod...2electron.shtml

http://www.roceng.org/IST/archive/rocharch_feb2002.html

One of the Kodak technical papers was published in the 2000 International Symposium on Silver Halide Imaging: Recent Advances and Future Opportunities in Silver Halide Imaging

St. Adele, Quebec, Canada

ISBN / ISSN: 0-89208-229-1

293 pages

"Design and Principles of Two-Electron Sensitization by Fragmentable Electron Donors

Annabel Muenter, Jerry Lenhard, Samir Farid, Ray Eachus, Steve Godleski, Paul Zielinski, and Ian Gould; Eastman Kodak Company Arizona State University pages 209-213. "

• Premium Member
This, John, leads us irrevocably into the question - when is Kodak releasing a Vision 2 1000T or

1600T stock? :)

Time will tell, I won't. ;)

For now, enjoy the new Kodak VISION2 50D Color Negative Film 5201/7201. Even lower grain than 7245, with the VISION2 "look". B)

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/campaign.../workflow.jhtml

The company is also previewing images recorded with the new KODAK VISION2 50D 5201/7201 color negative film, which is scheduled to be available in all formats in October. Mayson says the new negative is designed to give cinematographers more creative latitude while filming high-contrast exterior scenes in bright daylight as well as shots in mixed color temperatures. The film is also optimized as a recorder output film.

The new emulsion will be the sixth member of the Kodak VISION2 family of films, which was introduced in November 2002. The others are KODAK VISION2 500T 5218/7218, KODAK VISION2 100T 5212/7212, KODAK VISION2 200T 5217/7217, KODAK VISION2 250D 5205/7205, and KODAK VISION2 500T Expression 5229/7229.

• Premium Member
There are many who are very excited with the new 50D.  So, when can we expect to see this great film in super 8? :rolleyes:

I personally think it would be a wonderful film for the format. :) But a business case must be developed -- would availablity of Kodak VISION2 50D Color Negative Film 7201 expand the Super-8 market, or cannibalize sales of other films? Would it be a profitable item, or divert needed resources from other programs? :unsure:

Guest jeremy edge
I personally think it would be a wonderful film for the format.  :)  But a business case must be developed -- would availablity  of Kodak VISION2 50D Color Negative Film 7201 expand the Super-8 market, or cannibalize sales of other films?  Would it be a profitable item, or divert needed resources from other programs?  :unsure:

It would do both, but I tend to think that Kodak would be better off in the long run because, maybe I'm wrong ,but it seems super 8 users aren't warming up all that well to the negative films...they are still wanting to shoot reversal.50D might at least excite those who liked the grain free texture of k40 and might be willing to try negative to get that.I think 64d,even though people are skeptical about it right now ,will eventually settle on it for a projectable original.

Although some might disagree,I think you only need 1 higher speed negative film for super 8.Its a big jump to just go with the 500, but instead of using 200 you could rate the 500 at 250 and end up with a denser smoother negative right?

And how many super 8 users are using a big enough lighting kit to really expose 100t or even 200t indoors? From my observations ,super 8 users generally do outdoors or available light .Occasionally using a real light kit.

I just used some vision 2 500 7218 for a few night exteriors of cabs driving in NYC under sodium vapor and though it is not great in terms of lighting stylistically, I thought the image looked great in terms of quality of blacks and grain. I never really liked 79 in 16mm and stayed away from it for years, but this stuff is really great. I am looking forward to using it for a dramatic street scene.

Best

Tim