Congratulate me or...

I haven't been on the forum much lately, well I'm happy to announce my reason. I just finished my first PAID feature as a 2nd, yeah...I have to tell somebody...i'm happy and realizing that there is a good chance I'll be able to make money in this industry. I actually quit my dead end job at office depot 5 minutes before my shift when I got the call, then headed to Hollywod. I actually didnt think I'd start getting paid work until I was like 20 or something, or even older...it started to scare me. well anyways, just thought I'd let you all know that I have my first paid S16 feature under my belt, and in the process of shooting a feature on the SDX as a First AC, so hopefuly the next feature I'll DP, not likely, but locked in my prayers...

That's great, congratulations. I actually also used to work at Office Depot, and I quit to work on a feature as a camera PA, and I got a bump up to 2nd for a day and was paid, and I'm sure I'll get more work out of it when I have time. I guess Richard is right about Office Depot.

Edited by Louis

I actually didnt think I'd start getting paid work until I was like 20 or something, or even older...it started to scare me.

Wow, so How young are you then? I'm in my twenties and never had a paying job in camera dept...And it isn't even starting to scare me (yet).

Feels kinda amazing that guys younger than 20 are doing that nice, congratulations!

• Premium Member
thanks guys. and yes, it seems Richard is right about office depot. and  Riku, I'm 18yrs. Will this advancement help me continue to get paid work? anyone know if it helps much?

It depends on you my friend.And noone else.

It is an advantage to have experience at any age.

Dimitrios Koukas

I haven't been on the forum much lately, well I'm happy to announce my reason. I just finished my first PAID feature as a 2nd, yeah...I have to tell somebody...i'm happy and realizing that there is a good chance I'll be able to make money in this industry.  I actually quit my dead end job at office depot 5 minutes before my shift when I got the call, then headed to Hollywod.  I actually didnt think I'd start getting paid work until I was like 20 or something, or even older...it started to scare me.  well anyways, just thought I'd let you all know that I have my first paid S16 feature under my belt, and in the process of shooting a feature on the SDX as a First AC, so hopefuly the next feature  I'll DP, not likely, but locked in my prayers...

Way to go! I too just finished my first paid gig as a 2nd, though it was on video (HDV w/ mini35 & primes). Good luck in the future and godspeed!

Guest JP Creatives

Allen,

Congratulations, however I found it unnecessary for you to say:

I actually didnt think I'd start getting paid work until I was like 20 or something, or even older...it started to scare me.

I think we all know that getting work at 18 is impressive, but you could have just come out and said it. There are plenty of people on this forum that haven't or don't get paid and plenty of them are 20 or older and not afraid. If they were afraid they wouldn't be involved in this industry in the first place. It does not take a genius to realize that getting work before 20 is not common. Why you would be afraid I don't really know...or was it because you were trying to beat around the bush.

I believe I have accomplished a great deal myself. I already directed my first 35mm feature, which was a huge relief because you know I am 21 (already a bit old), I thought it was going to at least take until I was 22 or 23 or maybe even, oh my god, 25.

See what I am saying. But don't get me wrong.

CONGRATS!

JP

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Rick Pearson

I've actually done a silly research project before in which I took a visit to IMDB.com and checked out the ages for some of my favorite directors, DP's, and even actors to see when it was that they started, or made it big.

Don't worry if you're 25, and still struggling as far as film is concerned. Many, many individuals who are now the "A" list, fan-favorite directors, DP's, and actors didn't make it until they were in their early 30's.

The important thing in life is to give your all to the endeavors you pursue no matter what age you are. If you do this, you'll find yourself happily doing it before you thought it possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...