Cleaning up a 16/35 Cameflex

Thomas Hayes

Howdy,

Just seeking a bit of advice regarding the restoration of a rather dirty and slightly corroded 16/35 Cameflex. The 16/35 400ft mags, 16mm gate, and host of extra lenses are in great nick, but the actual camera body is absolutely covered in superficial mold and rust, and a bit of not-so-superficial stuff (corroded aluminium knobs etc). The viewfinder doesn't seem to want to rotate. Haven't taken the turret off yet and looked inside - want to clean up the exterior first. That grey stuff on the lenses (see below) came about as a consequence of the camera becoming one with the foam in its road case.

Any suggestions for chemicals, rags, techniques, brands of toothbrush etc? Any warnings?

Here are some photos (25% original size):

camflexfront3yi.jpg

cameflextop4vg.jpg

I'm especially concerned about the brown gunk around the gate area:

cameflexgate5ye.jpg

Also, any idea as to what this thing is? It has what looks like a ground glass (?) or something at the back, with 16/35mm frame markings.

thing5sm.jpg

Edited by Thomas Hayes

• Premium Member
Howdy,

Just seeking a bit of advice regarding the restoration of a rather dirty and slightly corroded 16/35 Cameflex. The 16/35 400ft mags, 16mm gate, and host of extra lenses are in great nick, but the actual camera body is absolutely covered in superficial mold and rust, and a bit of not-so-superficial stuff (corroded aluminium knobs etc). The viewfinder doesn't seem to want to rotate. Haven't taken the turret off yet and looked inside - want to clean up the exterior first. That grey stuff on the lenses (see below) came about as a consequence of the camera becoming one with the foam in its road case.

Any suggestions for chemicals, rags, techniques, brands of toothbrush etc? Any warnings?

First of all u can use some wire brushes, and of different types.One nylon, one stainless and one brass.

Try carefully, without any chemicals on for a start.

If u see that u re starting to scratch the camera somehow, then u can use some chemicals like methylated alcohol, or petroleum, but do it with great caution.

Try not to put alcohol on any flange, and remove all the external flanges of the camera.

Petroleum is far more soft to the flanges.

U will need many pieces of clean cloth to use in case petroleum starting to drip.

I would use petroleum for the gate too.

After u finish cleanning u should pass the whole camera with some silicon spray.

(Outside).

Try the same with mags, WD40 is good for rust too, but not good for plastics

So do it with great caution.Also try the surfaces before u put anything on them.

For the inside I believe many parts were used to get lubrication from oils made for sewing machines.

Dimitrios Koukas

Thankyou downix, thankyou Dimitrios.

Try not to put alcohol on any flange, and remove all the external flanges of the camera.

Petroleum is far more soft to the flanges.

What be these 'flanges' of which you speak? I have never heard that word used in this context - I'm highly inexperienced with the use of cine cameras. Can you see any of these flange things in my photos?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hope all the goo comes off. I'm a big Eclair fan (I have a CM3 also). If you ever need to send it somewhere, there's a guy here in LA named George at the Optical-Electro House who is great with old Eclairs. I take mine to him whenever it needs serious service:

http://www.opticalelectrohouse.com/

As far as the eyepiece not rotating - not the worst thing ever, as it's not self-rectifying (if it pivots, so does the movie inside). If you're looking for a crystal motor, Tobin makes a pretty inexpensive one, although it unfortunately prevents the turret from rotating.

Sorry for the ramble. Enjoy your eclair.

ANDREAS

Guest Ian Marks

A Kinoptik loupe - I never thought I'd see that... I think that device fits against the gate to provide critical focussing, or maybe even to help with adjusting the backfocus of lenses. Bolex has a similar device.

Edited by Ian Marks