Unreal Engine and Virtual Cinematography. DOPs who have dabbled in it, what do you think?

I work in virtual production, both on set as a consultant and on the tools development side.

Asking if cinematographers will learn Unreal in the future is a bit like asking if they will become familiar with tape broadcast cameras, after AotC came out in 2002.

The sentiment is correct, but the implementation will be wrong.

Unreal is a fantastic tool, it's very powerful. But it was never meant to do the kinds of things we're doing with it in VP. The more you get into large setups with multiple clusters and multiple editors, the more evident this becomes.

39 minutes ago, Andy Jarosz said:

I work in virtual production, both on set as a consultant and on the tools development side.

Asking if cinematographers will learn Unreal in the future is a bit like asking if they will become familiar with tape broadcast cameras, after AotC came out in 2002.

The sentiment is correct, but the implementation will be wrong.

Unreal is a fantastic tool, it's very powerful. But it was never meant to do the kinds of things we're doing with it in VP. The more you get into large setups with multiple clusters and multiple editors, the more evident this becomes.

Oh, what is the industry standard for virtual production then?

51 minutes ago, Asker Mammadov said:

Oh, what is the industry standard for virtual production then?

Currently, it's Unreal--that wasn't my point. The point was that the tools being used now are being used out of necessity, not because they're good. In 5-10 years, we'll be using dedicated engines and software packages specifically for virtual production. To continue my analogy, we need a few years before the RED ONE or Alexa is developed.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...