What's better, Avid or Premiere?

Ok, I'm sure this question has probably been asked 100 times but i didn't have luck finding it. All I'm curious to know is what are the ups and downs between Avid Xpress Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro 7. I currently have Premiere Pro 7 installed on my machine but I've been told Avid is the way to go, what i want to know is why if so. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Also, I was reading about hardware render cards that are great for real time effects, can anyone recommend one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg or is this even necessary? I am running a p4 2.8ghz computer with a gig of ram, but an old video card (radeon 8500), would any video card update be worthwhile or only if the card is specific to editing. Again, Any help would be appriciated, Thank you :)

Guest JP Creatives
Ok, I'm sure this question has probably been asked 100 times but i didn't have luck finding it. All I'm curious to know is what are the ups and downs between Avid Xpress Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro 7. I currently have Premiere Pro 7 installed on my machine but I've been told Avid is the way to go, what i want to know is why if so. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Also, I was reading about hardware render cards that are great for real time effects, can anyone recommend one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg or is this even necessary? I am running a p4 2.8ghz computer with a gig of ram, but an old video card (radeon 8500), would any video card update be worthwhile or only if the card is specific to editing. Again, Any help would be appriciated, Thank you :)

Corey,

This is all opinion based. Personally, I have both Avid Xpress and Premier Pro and I use them both depending on what I am trying to do. I feel premier is much more user friendly and better for finetuning things. Avid however is more powerful and very popular in the industry which makes it beneficial to learn. I especially love the color correction capabilities, whereas Premier leaves much to be desired. Also, you ask about real time effects. My computer is much less equiped than yours, but you would be surprised how flawlessy the real time effects run in Avid, you'd think they are rendered already. Premier on the other hand is miserable at running real time effects. The pixels become giant and it runs slowly. A video card might help a bit, but the programming is where the real problem lies.

Avid is a good tool to have, but you must know ahead of time that the interface is not like Premier or Final Cut. Things are a bit more difficult. You'll have to work hard for it to become second nature, I still ahven't achieved this.

But for me a cut is a cut. Everything depends on what you are trying to do. A film cut in Avid is not necessarily going to be better.

JP

I agree completely. I'm not up on the latest features of Premiere (I gave up on v5), and I can't say which is functionally better at that level, but learning the Avid interface (which is not that difficult if you're a blank slate, but is quite different from other NLEs) could be a stepping stone to working on their higher-end systems that use very similar commands. One of the downsides to me is that Avid is so proprietary that it can be difficult to troubleshoot, and the error messages (although rare) can be very unhelpful. I don't care for the way its Media Manager works either, but people that are strictly Avid Editors might disagree with me. Avid is very efficient about maximizing realtime features (I work on an Adrenaline system, but have used Xpress).

I still prefer FCP on a Mac to both of them, but Avid is my app for PC. Another one to consider that users really seem to love is Vegas. . .

• Premium Member

For a really simple cutting with classic film style effects and dissolves or wipes,

I would suggest Premiere,it's more film style with, and more user friendly.

Avid has it's own phillosophy, and I am still trying to figure out why it's a standart now.

But as the other friends here said, it's good for you to know to use it.

Agree also for the speed and quality of avid.

With Unity and adrenaline Avid rocks.Don't forget to chck Final Cut though.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member

Hi,

The problem here is that Premiere is fundamentally more capable, but you don't get into Soho Editors by knowing anything other than Avid.

It's the beta/VHS situation all over again. Personally I find avid to be a pain in the neck.

The realtime stuff has got very much better in Pro 1.5, but still seems sluggish against other similar software.

Phil